PDA

View Full Version : rear springs

silk violet
14-04-13, 04:17 PM
Hi there i have just taken my rear beam off my mk 2 gsi and want to replace my rear suspension srings but want to keep it at same lowered position but dont know how low it has been lowered took springs off and they measure 17 half cm from in side the spring from longest length but does any 1 know how low that is so i can start looking for replacements....??? :thumb:

paul james
14-04-13, 04:26 PM
How low a spring makes the car isn't just dependant on the height of the spring, but its shape and composition. Is there anything actually wrong with the old springs? unless they are cracked or obviously fatigued I would just sand them down and paint them up, old springs can be made to look like new again no problem. It can be easier and cheaper to restore some things on a car rather than simply replacing with new every time, as tempting as it is to do so.

edit : Just checked the -60mm springs I have lying around in the garage, and they measure up near enough the same height as yours.

silk violet
14-04-13, 04:49 PM
How close roughly measurement was the lowered 60mm springs to my 17 half cm length

paul james
14-04-13, 04:52 PM
Mine looked to be 18cm long, but as said theres going to be differences between different spring makes when in an unsprung state. Chances are yours are -60mm too, a side picture of the car with them fitted will be a good way for people to judge too, seeing how far the wheel sits in the arch.

chrisd1986
14-04-13, 05:08 PM
ive got a set of standard springs here, drop us a pm if you need them