PDA

View Full Version : Quick vinyl question?

leggattr
13-04-13, 09:18 PM
Just wanted to know with the original vinyl supplied from vauxhall/Opel for the lower sides on sr's etc the vinyl is attached to a thin card and has a paper top protecting it.
What order do I remove this to fit it? I'm guessing remove the protective paper and then the lower part so you can see any bubbling in the vinyl etc?
Just want someone to confirm this?

Thanks
Richard

Edd
13-04-13, 10:01 PM
That's the way I would

I have always put stickers/vinyl on wet tho

Method I used

Clean/clay bar panel
Using a plant spray bottle spray lightly soaped water on to panel
Then put decal on
And squeegy the water and air bubbles out

The wetness will allow you some movement to get it where you want it

Put it on dry and want to move it means fcuked decal in my experience

That just how I do them, ignore me if you like lol

leggattr
13-04-13, 10:07 PM
I have read people use water but thought that took the stickiness away.
May be worth ago

Cheers edd

Novasport
13-04-13, 10:09 PM
Wet application and leave, then remove the protective paper. Problem is, on most old decals the paper may be difficult to get off. might have to soak it off.
If it is stuck then if you try to remove it too soon you will just pull the whole decal off.
I like originality but if I were doing an SR, I would paint the lower half and just use vinyls on the door pillars and bootlid. The lower decals just promote rust anyway.

Novasport
13-04-13, 10:12 PM
I have read people use water but thought that took the stickiness away.
May be worth ago

Cheers edd

No, if won't affect the adhesive. It allows movement and adjustment of the decal and prevention of trapping air bubbles. Don't be afraid to put plenty on, it will all squeegy out.

Edd
13-04-13, 10:37 PM
I've done my Sport decals my self using my method above

leggattr
13-04-13, 10:42 PM
Il start with the smaller wing sections once the areas have been cleaned up and go from there. Iv got the small upper tailgate section aswell so gives me some practice.