PDA

View Full Version : roll bar strain on lowering

jimbob-mcgrew
12-04-13, 02:29 PM
ive been thinking about the front roll bar forces upon lowering, and the effect it might have on handling.

say in theory, if you lowered the car, wouldn't that be permanently engaging the front roll bars to an extent, and possibly cack up the handling ?

jimbob-mcgrew
12-04-13, 02:32 PM
even without a roll bar fitted, there must be a slight change to the tie bar force too ?

meritlover
12-04-13, 02:33 PM
negative,

Because you are lowering each side equally, the load on the ARB is the same. Ie. none.

jimbob-mcgrew
12-04-13, 02:35 PM
and less important, but possibly worth considering, the alignment of the steering rods also

im guessing with some sort of -40 or -60 adaptor blocks, you can fiddle everything back to more normal positioning

i could be talking out of my ass tho, just one of my chaotic crazy theories

meritlover
12-04-13, 02:36 PM
even without a roll bar fitted, there must be a slight change to the tie bar force too ?

yes but again, equal on both sides and negligible impact on handling. The rubber tie rod bush still has travel in it when lowered.

jimbob-mcgrew
12-04-13, 02:37 PM
there must be some sort of change lover boy ?
as the tie bars and roll bar bolted to the front chassis rail, and that will be 60mm lower

burgo
12-04-13, 02:38 PM
At about -60 the steering arms are actually straight so you get less bump steer so is a good thing. Its when your at -120 its an issue again but jonworse than when standard

jimbob-mcgrew
12-04-13, 02:40 PM
The rubber tie rod bush still has travel in it when lowered.

^ ah, the max limit is a good point, still abit of movement left.
im guessing everything will just be all tightened up in that case

jimbob-mcgrew
12-04-13, 02:42 PM
At about -60 the steering arms are actually straight so you get less bump steer

^ oh really, well that's settled then lol

meritlover
12-04-13, 02:43 PM
Burgers is correct. the only thing that is likely to be more stressed is the rubber bush on the inner wishbone. Technically the bolt should be loostened off and re tightened as its already over twisting the rubber.

Think how an ARB works, it actually does nothing until there is a difference in height between wishbones and the torsional force is applied to the bar.

burgo
12-04-13, 02:45 PM
Again with th tie rod bush, as standard the tie rod is pointing down so upon lowering your straightening it and in therefore giving it more movement

jimbob-mcgrew
12-04-13, 02:55 PM
the only thing that is likely to be more stressed is the rubber bush on the inner wishbone. Technically the bolt should be loostened off and re tightened as its already over twisting the rubber.

^ that's a good point too, your supposed to drop it to the ground and do that after aren't you, to align everything properly

meritlover
12-04-13, 03:32 PM
i think the manual states to tighten at 15deg from the horizontal but thats with std suspension. with lowerd suspension i would imaging tightening at the horizontal position or with the weight on the wheels would be fine.