PDA

View Full Version : brake bias

conad
10-04-13, 06:42 PM
so.... i want to convert the rear beam to disc, but nearly had a heart attack when i saw a new bias valve was £200. do any other cars have a similar setup that i could take the valve from? answers on a postcard :d

meritlover
10-04-13, 09:51 PM
peugeot/Renault/corsa load valve suitably plumbed in, use a wing nut and screwed rod to change the 'load' on the valve to change the bias.

so cheap its almost free, so cheap its not even worth the stamp for a postcard.

conad
10-04-13, 10:49 PM
lol have you seen the price of stamps these days!!!! cheers for that pal, but im going to go by everyones advice and sack off the idea of rear discs, it was my understanding that it was a massive improvment but not many people seem to be happy with it.

meritlover
10-04-13, 10:56 PM
have you seen the price i charge for my time ;)
people go for increased brake force on the rear, then dont like it so they then undo all the effort by fitting a bias valve. the whole thing drum to disc conversion thing is very uneconomical

meritlover
10-04-13, 10:59 PM
further to the above, std rear drums already have a bias fitted, which suggests they are capable of applying more braking force than what is required, hence the balance valves are fitted to restrict them.

fit larger brakes on the front by all means, but the weight transfer to the front is proportional to the front braking force, so to be honest, the better your front brakes are, the less good your rears need to be. Everything else then just comes down to weight distribution within the car.

conad
10-04-13, 11:32 PM
makes perfect sense, im really not going to bother now, just getsome decent discs and pads up front and maybe some fresh oil. i already have some nice big stoppers up front as its LET'd butthey never filled me with confidence lol