PDA

View Full Version : Re-attaching used bump strips?

leggattr
10-04-13, 12:13 PM
Now Iv got to remove the ones fitted to the car since 85 as I'm fitting the lower sr vinyls.
I don't want to buy new as there's nothing really wrong with the ones I have but what is the best product to use?
Before Iv got some sticky sponge tape and Iv just got some black tiger seal to refit my spoiler so could that be used?
Gonna try to store them flat to keep them in good nick.

Any advise would be great.

Richard

conza123
10-04-13, 12:24 PM
there gonna bend/flex when you take them off anyway, isnt it worth geting the bodywork sorted 1st so you can put vinyl and strips on so minmum damage to stripe

leggattr
10-04-13, 12:43 PM
I'm gonna tidy up around the arches and and small spots 1st before the vinyl goes on but it's needed for the wedding and that's end of June.

Edd
10-04-13, 12:55 PM
When removing them use a long Stanley blade to cut through the glue/sticky sponge stuff, should keep them straight then, I've done this in the past

scott.parker
10-04-13, 04:10 PM
Or a bit of fishing line, or a steel none wound guitar string would work.

leggattr
10-04-13, 07:54 PM
Getting them off isnt the issue it's the re attaching I'm not 100%. Don't want them to fall off down the road!

Novasport
10-04-13, 08:02 PM
Just taken one of mine off that was peeling off the rear quarter. Used a flat stanley blade scraper to remove the old adhesive foam tape, cleaned with tar & glue remover then wiped over with brake cleaner.
I need to get some good quality adhesive foam tape to stick it on with. The key is to have spotlessly clean and well prepared surfaces for the tape to go on.

marc69
10-04-13, 08:02 PM
I used areldite on mine in 2008, however, i noticed that the one that sits beow the fuel filler is not looking so great,I assume drops of splilt fuel breaks it up.