PDA

View Full Version : First time start question

jonnyd61
09-04-13, 07:00 PM
This mite seem a daft question bt wen i put my engine bak together as this is my first time doing so is it a good idea to put oil all over the cams for wen it firsts turns over so theres no grinding ect ect in the engine ?????

meritlover
09-04-13, 07:15 PM
it certainly wont do any harm. the main bit is the bearings getting pre-lubed.

if you are rebuilding it, often as you fill it with oil the rockers will get a good soaking anyway as it often drains slower than you pour it in. this results in filling the rocker box and coating everything.

best to remove the plugs and spin over on the starter until the oil light goes out. This is good practice anyway as it ensures there is oil pressure and all the bearings have been lubed with little load on them.

xx

Martin.p
09-04-13, 07:21 PM
When I rebuilt my engine I took plugs out, removed fuel pump fuse,
But I didn't get any oil pressure because I didn't fill the oil pump with oil befor fitting it. So it couldn't create any suction at pick up pipe or pump oil.
I had to drop sump and fill it with a syringe.

meritlover
09-04-13, 07:29 PM
I had to drop sump and fill it with a syringe.

what did you fill?

therealnovaboy
09-04-13, 07:33 PM
Your supposed to fill the oil pump with Vaseline to help it prime on start up.

meritlover
09-04-13, 07:37 PM
Your supposed to fill the oil pump with Vaseline to help it prime on start up.

do they do that in the factory? or do they just fire it up, bounce it off the limiter for a few seconds, then screw it on a dyno before rolling it onto a transporter like nearly every other manufacturer does?

Pistol Pete
09-04-13, 07:41 PM
do they do that in the factory? or do they just fire it up, bounce it off the limiter for a few seconds, then screw it on a dyno before rolling it onto a transporter like nearly every other manufacturer does?

No. In a factory, they run it up the gears on a set of rollers, then run it down a test track then they put it on a transporter. Boom one run in engine!

Martin.p
09-04-13, 07:55 PM
what did you fill?

Sorry,
The oil pump.
I was told after that there are such things that you pack/fill pump with befor fitting.

Learnt the hard way.

therealnovaboy
09-04-13, 08:15 PM

Id still start it if you havnt already done it. Most of the time you cannot be sure the engine will start first time eg if you have fitted carbs that have not been set up or an ecu with a crummy base map. I'd still suggest filling the oil pump as good practice.

meritlover
09-04-13, 08:28 PM
but they dont pre-prime in the factory, they just start it up and nail it that's my point. of course given the option, you would not do it this way which is why i would at least crank it over with no plugs in, once the light goes out you know theres oil in the pump and it has successfully pressured the bearings.