PDA

View Full Version : Removing tailgate

gte-87
07-04-13, 04:43 PM
Hi how do you remove tailgate on a nova? Also can you re use the pins? Thanks dan

paul james
07-04-13, 04:47 PM
Just detach the lifting strut and then hammer the pins out with a suitably sized screwdriver or similar, spray in a bit of wd40/oil in to help. Its good to have a second pair of hands to hold on to the tailgate, so it doesn't land on your head. The pins are solid unlike the stupid door ones, so you can reuse them no problem. But if you're obsessive for shiney bits like me, replace them with stainless steel dowels! (8 x 60mm)

meritlover
07-04-13, 05:04 PM
My advice would be to find a friend who will help. or even better, two friends who will do it for you.

once youv removed the struts it gets heavy and wants to ping up and dent your roof when you remove the pins. which can be very tight as they have probably never been out before.

xxx

Edd
07-04-13, 05:18 PM
replace them with stainless steel dowels! (8 x 60mm)

that sounds a good idea, have you had any trouble with them working loose tho? as the factory ones have a clip on them

paul james
07-04-13, 05:37 PM
that sounds a good idea, have you had any trouble with them working loose tho? as the factory ones have a clip on them

Good question, it seems I have remembered wrongly. Went to have a look at the car, and it has the normal pins for the tailgate, then I realised it was the petrol tank strap pins I had replaced! (yes even more pointless and un-noticeable, but I hate rusty bits!)

Edd
07-04-13, 05:56 PM
i got stainless ones in my tank straps lol

brainsnova
07-04-13, 09:07 PM
Copper grease the old pins and they will slit back in easy and don't forget to remove the clips of the pins or they won't go anywhere