PDA

View Full Version : Original stereo

Simon 1867
06-04-13, 09:48 PM
My radio seems to have developed a fault. For some reason the sound has stopped working on the left side. So my question is, has anyone got pictures of the radio cassette stereo which would have been fitted to a 1983 A-reg? I'm looking to replace my current one with a period one.

Thanks.

millworm
06-04-13, 10:10 PM
i think chris has one in his

chrisd1986
06-04-13, 11:05 PM
nope it was a splx one but ive got a 80's sharp cassette player in the garage somewere

Simon 1867
06-04-13, 11:34 PM
Pm sent

Novasport
06-04-13, 11:53 PM
Would be just a colour coded AM/MW/LW radio. SR's had a Philips cassette deck

Dan Stanley
07-04-13, 10:04 AM
My old A reg saloon had the radio package as a dealer fitted option. It was just a brown faced radio. I think it had a dial to tune it and was marked up as MW/LW or something similar. It was a Philips.

TBH, it was naff sounding! I wouldn't want to keep it if I still had the car. Some people keep the original item in the dash cut out just for show and a newer head unit wired up elsewhere (glovebox etc).

therealnovaboy
07-04-13, 04:51 PM
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd375/therealnovaboy/novainterior.jpg

only pic i have of mine on me, you can just make it out

they are pretty pointless to be honest. Most of the time you only get a sound like tractor engine, which is usually better than when you actualy find the old man rambling away on it.

edit - just found this on google http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0j6eYpiEihXb971BjMK3Bfaz9MZ2q6 0nBqFFyHAxCGHR5MQwmuh__Yfoe

mowgli
07-04-13, 06:28 PM
look for any 80's philips stereos.. occasionally you'll find one on the bay still in its box.

i got an early 90's jvc radio cassette, that was found at the back of a car dealerships store cupboard for about a tenner

meritlover
07-04-13, 10:02 PM
Most old radios sound like alternators and unsurpressed ignition systems. If i cant get BBC world service i like to tune to a nice empty AM frequency and on rainy days i like to listen to the sound of my windscreen wiper motors. its quite nice being able to listen to the electrical noise of your electrical system at the same time as listening to your carb sucking. if i rev it up its like a space car oit of The Jetsons.
its a bit like when you turn your PC speakers up and click things on the desktop. you can here him thinking!

L14MNP
07-04-13, 10:05 PM
Blower motor interference > wiper motors.

it is also useful for when you want to pretend to be a plane. V1.......Rotate. :)

meritlover
07-04-13, 10:08 PM
I dont like to use the term 'interference' as it gives the impression that it is not welcome.

L14MNP
07-04-13, 10:14 PM
I dont like to use the term 'interference' as it gives the impression that it is not welcome.

I interfere all of the time, and I am always welcome.

You agree about the aircraft similarities though? This fantasy can be further improved by opening the clamp to adjust your steering column* it will then react to bumps and undulations in the surface as if it were turbulence. Not to mention if you are lucky enough to also have 'reach' adjustment, it is great for when taking off. :)

*Not fitted to all cars. Usually only available alongside a surpressed audio system.

Simon 1867
07-04-13, 10:16 PM
Well I've been searching the net for a replacement but no luck. I appreciate everyone's comments and views but I like old analog style radio, the not so clear sound and having to tweet it to get it clearer. Reminds me of a simpler time when technology wasn't moving to fast. I think I will have to find some who can repair my sharp radio

Southie
07-04-13, 10:17 PM
Nick J is selling one Simon:
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?197099-Early-Period-Philips-stereo-and-steering-wheel-Fibrecomp-disc-holder.

Simon 1867
08-04-13, 05:06 PM
Nick J is selling one Simon:
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?197099-Early-Period-Philips-stereo-and-steering-wheel-Fibrecomp-disc-holder.

Yeah I took a look at this one but its not a cassette radio. Thanks anyway