PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearings mk1 sr

mk3 vinny
06-04-13, 04:26 PM
are the front wheel bearings on the mk1 sr pressed in or could I do it outside my self I think my drivers side one has gone I have fronts and rears here to go in

thanks vinny

raf24
06-04-13, 04:33 PM
It is a press fit bearing on the front.

Edd
06-04-13, 04:42 PM
you can do it in a vice if you have large sockets and know what your doing, Ive always done it that way, or take the hub to a engineering place and get them to do it

mk3 vinny
06-04-13, 05:04 PM
thanks lads I thought they would be press fit just thought I might be able to knock the old ones out and tap the new ones in with a socket on them but never mind lol

therealnovaboy
06-04-13, 05:14 PM
you can.

put the new bearing in the freezer
take it apart so you are left with the hub, bearing and carrier.
remove the circlip from the back.
hammer the back of the old bearing so you are left with the inner race on the hub and the outer in the carrier.
remove all the balls from the outer race and wipe with a rag
get a welder and weld a seam of weld round the inside of the outer bearing race.
when it cools slightly chase the bearing out with a cold chisel and hamer.
put the carrier in the oven at 190 deg
get the cold chisel and chase the inner race off the hub. youl probably only get one off
get a grinder and grind the edge of the other inner race just a nick on the edge. be careful not to grind the hub
use a chisel and smash the bit youve grinded, this should put a crack through the inner race
youll be able to chase it off with a hammer and chisel.
then put the hub in the freezer.
get the outer race of the bearing and grind the edge off it so it will slide into the carrier about 5mm
clean the recess that the circlip fits into
take the carrier out the oven.
take the bearing out the freezer.
make sure you put the bearing in the right way round
tap the bearing in square to the carrier, when its flush with the carrier use the old outer race to tap it all the way in.
take the hub out the freezer
put the hub on the floor and the carrier and bearing on top.
use the old inner race to drift the new bearing onto the hub.
DO NOT hammer the hub into the bearing as youll end up pushing the inner race out the new bearing. only hammer the new bearing by hammering the inner race onto the hub.
fit the circlip

turn off the oven.

Edd
06-04-13, 05:16 PM
^^^ are you being serious ? or been on the drink all day ?

conza123
06-04-13, 05:20 PM
^^^ are you being serious ? or been on the drink all day ?

I was thinking that lol,

at work we sometimes get people come in with there hub and we press the bearing in and out for nothing normaly as it a 2 second job

mk3 vinny
06-04-13, 05:24 PM
I will let the garage at the end of the street do it lol

raf24
06-04-13, 05:24 PM
Masterchef or mechanichef? lol

Andy
06-04-13, 05:32 PM
HAHAHAHAHA what the fukk.
Ballsing around like that you will spend more on gas and electric than the labour of paying somebody you fool lol

Edd
06-04-13, 05:36 PM
lol lol all you need is a socket the size of the bearing and a vice

if not slip someone £20 (max) for someone at a garage to do it

therealnovaboy
06-04-13, 05:44 PM
it takes about 2 hours.
the oven is on for about 20 mins

If you dont have a press or vice, ie outside its the best way.

mk3 vinny
09-04-13, 06:20 PM
its costing £70 at the local garage to have it all striped down them removed and pressed in and all put back together job done

brainsnova
09-04-13, 06:44 PM
Erm remove hub and take it in £70 turns to £20 or less

mk3 vinny
10-04-13, 09:23 PM
To be fair it was £70 to fit both sides so £35 a side and I could be bothered to strip it down cos the weather isn't that good at the moment