PDA

View Full Version : Road tax

EwanG
05-04-13, 05:14 PM
If I tax my car online. From that point am I legal to drive on the road if I dont have the actual disc?

therealnovaboy
05-04-13, 05:18 PM
"you can legally drive or keep your vehicle on the road up to five days from the end of the month without displaying a valid tax disc provided you have made your application online or by telephone before your current vehicle tax/SORN expires"

going by that statement if it has ran out youll have to sorn it then tax it before youll get 5 days grace.

gary_126
05-04-13, 05:20 PM
If im in this situation i print the confirmation email and keep it in the car until the disc arrives.

Stuart
05-04-13, 06:05 PM
And if coming off sorn, you must wait for the disc to arrive before drivi g

Spudly
05-04-13, 06:54 PM
But however, it is an offence to not display correctly, valid tax for the vehicle, in the vehicle, and you can still be fined for this!

Benn
05-04-13, 07:00 PM
I was about to same the same^

I'd go to the post office, that way you have it right away and it keeps one most post office open...

Spudly
05-04-13, 07:02 PM
And if coming off sorn, you must wait for the disc to arrive before drivi g

Didnt know this......

Ooops lol

chrisd1986
05-04-13, 07:04 PM
i tend to order my tax online 6 days before as it takes 4 days to arrive as my nearest postoffice to tax is 5 miles asway

Benn
05-04-13, 10:13 PM
Will be 10miles away soon with anyone doing it on line....^

marc69
05-04-13, 10:27 PM
I'm off tomorrow morning to tax mine at a post office. I have to part with real money.

Jack
06-04-13, 12:21 AM
Current grace period is 5 days IF you applied for a disc prior to the old one (or SORN) expiring.

Thats hopefully going to be extended to 14 days if the Finance Bill gets approved and enacted. Incidentally, if approved, that will also see an end to annual SORN renewals!

brainsnova
06-04-13, 12:31 AM
I prefer going to the post office as I don't fancy spending over £200 on a bit paper coming in the post

marc69
06-04-13, 06:48 PM
Did it earlier...£140!!!

How much will the redtop cost? Always grudge taxing 2nd car, I can only drive one on the road at once. (never tried any type of rope/lever device to control two at the same time.)

Adam
06-04-13, 06:53 PM
XE nova declared properly costs £123 for 6month and £225 for 12.

Spudly
06-04-13, 06:53 PM
Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £123.75 12 Months Rate £225.00

Thats for my nova which is on the book as a 2.0 :thumb:

marc69
06-04-13, 06:57 PM
XE nova declared properly costs £123 for 6month and £225 for 12.

So a total of £365 tax this year...lovely (the xe is declared as xe)

Jack
07-04-13, 01:06 AM
I had to tax all three cars once (Cav, Nova, and GT4) = £675 lol

Its vehicle tax, not road tax, hence why you pay it on each so I sort of see the logic there. Unless you don't use the vehicle, in which case you get discount (SORN). NCB on car insurance though, now thats definitely one for the 'can't drive two cars at once' argument...

Spudly
07-04-13, 10:14 AM
Current grace period is 5 days IF you applied for a disc prior to the old one (or SORN) expiring.

I thought they had removed the 'grace' period now, as its up to you to make sure you apply for your disc or tax it at the post office, before your current tax/declaration expires?

L14MNP
07-04-13, 10:40 AM
Just drive it lol.

You may get pulled before the disc arrives, but if you do, you will have 14 days to produce, by which time you will have the disc.

Jack
07-04-13, 11:33 AM
I didn't think you'd get a producer, as the offence is failure to display? Not 'doesn't have tax in the first place'?

I thought they had removed the 'grace' period now, as its up to you to make sure you apply for your disc or tax it at the post office, before your current tax/declaration expires?
No, its still there to cover the DVLA's back for postage. In fact the reason they're extending it to 14 days is so they can scrimp on the postage more and send them 2nd class lol

Spudly
07-04-13, 11:37 AM
Greedy robbing cnuts, it not enough they scam monies out of us anyways, they want to do that, thats shoite!

therealnovaboy
07-04-13, 11:37 AM
You can still get done for use of vehicle without tax which is a penalty of paying the tax up to the days you get caught (which you have anyway) and a double figure fine from the DVLA. Or best case scenario is youll have 5 days to produce a tax disc. which is unlikely if you are a young loon in a nova.

Your basicaly risking it for a £99 fine.

L14MNP
07-04-13, 11:40 AM
If it's paid for online, and you encounter a jobsworth copper, you may get a '14 day vehicle defect' form or wtf they call it.

Unless things have changed - highly likely - within the last few years.

therealnovaboy
07-04-13, 11:43 AM
The bottom line is its whatever the "law" (copper) decides.

L14MNP
07-04-13, 11:44 AM
^ This.

Just drive propa fast.

Spudly
07-04-13, 11:50 AM
Its usually a dvla enforced fine for having no tax, you wouldnt get a producer for no tax though as you havent got any tax to produce lol

Although the police have just been given back their powers to impound, so they can and will seize your vehicle if they so desire!

Thats quite scary as my van has just come off sorn, taxed it on the first of this month, and drove it on the third to my mates garage to get the alternator replaced, and the tax didnt arrive till the fourth, i thought i was just 'not displaying' and liable for a fine, but thats not so, i couldve had my van impounded if i were stopped :eek:

L14MNP
07-04-13, 11:55 AM
You do/did.

When I bought my Nova SR, it was SORN. So I obviously left it on the road for a week or so until it was ready to MoT.
I put the tax from my Astra in the Novas window, and nothing in the Astras window.

As expected, it was noticed (main road) by a police patrol. I can't remember what they did, must have stuck something to the screen.

I had 7 or 14 days to produce a valid tax disc. Which I did, as obviously I had it.
I explained that the sun had caused the old (brought with me) tax disc holder to fall off the screen.

They bought it.

During this time, I got the Nova road legal.

Everybody wins! lol