PDA

View Full Version : info required on 2.5 v6 msd engine

bainyboy sr
05-04-13, 11:23 AM
bought a Vectra gsi msd last nite on the way home the oil light flashed on and temp shot through the roof , let it cool down then started it back up and its ticking like a basterd and the oil appears to be over full , oil light dosent go out when ignition is on , any help would be great

Cheers Ricky

meritlover
05-04-13, 11:39 AM
is this a level or a pressure light?
if its pressure the oil light will be on when the ign is on but should be out when its running.

is the oil over full or has the contents of the cooling system ended up in the sump?

engine sounds shot whatever the reasons are.

bainyboy sr
05-04-13, 11:58 AM
the oil light dosent go out when running theres still coolant in the tank and the oil looked slightly over full before I left with the car so im not sure if it has been over full already or coolant has leakt into it, was told to try a flush change oil and fill to the correct level I got the car cheap enough so mite just break it if its fukt seems ashame its a clean car

deneil_gsi2000
05-04-13, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a dud mate, the oil pressure lights have a habbit of coming on when warm. Did you check the oil level before setting off. As said is the sump full of coolant.

How full is the oil?

Slow reply by me lol

Stuart
05-04-13, 12:20 PM
Do these still have the oil cooler in the middle of the Vee like the omegas had? if so I bet its the cooler that has failed.

Jack
05-04-13, 12:44 PM
^ I think they do. My cooler sprung a leak, and had similar problems.

bainyboy sr
05-04-13, 12:59 PM
the oil feels thin and it is past the full mark over the tip bit if you get what I mean , was driving fine before hand , yes checked the oil before I left looked to be full but it was dark lol

meritlover
05-04-13, 01:11 PM
its the ticking thats the worry. any damage by low oil pressure has probably been done by now.

bainyboy sr
05-04-13, 02:24 PM
it only seems to be ticky on idle goin to change the oil tonite see if it does anything if not looks like its getting broke up

Jack
05-04-13, 05:58 PM
If the oil cooler is kaput, changing the oil won't fix it. Take the inlets and cooler cover plate off and see if the bath is full of oil.

Its not that difficult a job to replace them. OEM replacements can be expensive though so it might work out cheaper to get a relocation kit.

Spudly
05-04-13, 06:57 PM
Its probably been run on crap coolant, vaux V6's need red coolant as there is an anti corrosion additive in it to prevent the water jacket mounted cooler rotting through and failing!

Btw, ALL GSi's are msd's, doesnt mean anything, just means its a GSi lol

bainyboy sr
06-04-13, 12:44 PM
I put a flush through it changed the oil and seems to be working ok the now, im goin to change the coolant is the Halfords red stuff the same as what your talking bout spudly?

jack wish I had seen this before I filled ut back up with oil lol

deneil_gsi2000
06-04-13, 02:25 PM
What was the oil like that came out? Usually when the oil cooler goes it pushes the oil into the coolant.which in turn pours out the expansion tank.

bainyboy sr
06-04-13, 03:57 PM
the oil was black no water in it , the coolant has no trace of oil in it but smells of rad weld im going to change this tomorow

Spudly
06-04-13, 06:14 PM
I think it should be the same stuff yes, but if its not a million quid then id go for GM stuff as that definately has the anti corrosion stuff in it, its only because they were dumb in being clever and mounted the thing that makes the oil colder, and in turn gets hot itself, in the water jacket thats supposed to cool the engine!

Dumbasses lol

bainyboy sr
08-04-13, 10:45 PM
cheers bud the rads sprung a leak not surprised at all with it smelling of rad weld will get the gm stuff when i pick a new rad up , parked up for now me thinks lol