PDA

View Full Version : Transit van overheating and now misfire???

dc1984
04-04-13, 07:16 PM
Basically I bought a mk5 (smiley) transit beavertail recovery truck last week and it started overheating on the motorway the other day.
I stopped and found the plastic thermostat housing was cracked so I've replaces it with a new metal one and also the thermostat itself.
Took it a run and it started to overheat again so I took the radiator off and flushed it through with a hose then stripped the stuff off to check the timing belt and removed the water pump but they were all new parts.

Took the van a run today and got about 2 miles before it started to loose power and sound like it was misfiring? Got to a safe place and pulled over, turned the truck off for 2 mins then turned round to head back, I managed to build up to 4th gear still misfiring then dropped to third for a corner and the misfire went away and I had full power again?

I'm totally lost on this one and really need it working to get some cash back in that it owes me.

Anyone got any ideas or had a similar problem?

David:thumb:

brainsnova
04-04-13, 08:12 PM
That would be worth posting on the transit forum,replies maybe be slow but there's people with **** loads of experience

dc1984
04-04-13, 08:23 PM
Done it today mate but as you say it's a tad slow over there.

staggy_gsi
04-04-13, 09:38 PM
Is it using water or anything?

dc1984
04-04-13, 10:13 PM
No mate, it was overheating. The water was overflowing out of the water bottle when it got too hot.

staggy_gsi
05-04-13, 07:18 PM
Id be tempted to say its the head gasket. But the fact it came back onto 4 pots again isa little odd

dc1984
05-04-13, 08:57 PM
Id be tempted to say its the head gasket. But the fact it came back onto 4 pots again isa little odd

I have never had a head go on anything or had any experience with diesel engines either.
My last resort will be a fuel filter tomorrow then it will be the head getting stripped off and fixed:(
Really need it making money instead of costing it lol

staggy_gsi
06-04-13, 02:45 PM
Does it white smoke or anything like that?? Also it might be worth doing a compression test before ripping it to bits

DAFTJOHN
06-04-13, 04:15 PM
In transit up in Strathaven ...guys knows them inside out

mowgli
06-04-13, 04:21 PM
try a new radiator cap. when they go, the engine will always boil up.

also look for air locks.

Jon_nova1
06-04-13, 05:47 PM
Also check the fan, sometimes it splits so doesn't spin with the shaft