PDA

View Full Version : do we think its possible

conad
04-04-13, 06:37 PM
right, i've got a compressor, and its shagged! im looking at buying a new 1 and obviously want as big a tank as possible. now to save some dollar do you think its possible to link the 2? remove all the gubbins from the old, apply a t-piece to the new 1 and branch off from it.... a little like this....

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i49/conad/compressor.jpg

Adam
04-04-13, 07:04 PM
Yeah id say its possible.
It will give you extra volume, but obviously with only one motor you will still have the same flow rate etc, and it'll have to run for much longer to fill both tanks.

conad
04-04-13, 07:11 PM
well the 1 im looking at has a flow rate of 9.5cfl so its not shy. i thought it was quite a good idea on my part lol

Adam
04-04-13, 07:14 PM
Well its effectively giving you the air volume of a compressor with a huge tank, so once its filled both tanks it should last a lot longer before it kicks back in again. Be interesting see how well it works!

burgo
04-04-13, 07:21 PM
Ive been thinking about something similar. I want a 200ltr ish compressor but your looking around £400 for one so I was thinking of getting 4 50ltr £50 jobbies and link them

Jon_nova1
04-04-13, 08:05 PM
yes its possible, quite a few places have a similar system, although your fill rate will be alot longer as you don't have a compressor pump to match, p.s. your "compressors" look like a bomb lol

L14MNP
04-04-13, 09:43 PM
Google it. Loads of people do it iirc..
Definitley worthwhile.

conad
04-04-13, 10:38 PM
sweet! but thought id stumbled upon something new lol

chrisd1986
04-04-13, 10:42 PM
we had one set up were i used to work with 2 tanks, we mounted one on top of the other and it works with good results but it dose take abit longer to fill up. if it takes a hammeri g somtimes it better to just have one tank unless you have a higher pressure pump if that makes sense

L14MNP
04-04-13, 10:42 PM
sweet! but thought id stumbled upon something new lol

I remember you saying that when you found the interior light switch on a Nova. lol

Stuart
04-04-13, 10:46 PM
Now if you are cunning you could set it up to charge one tank as you use the other and switch over etc.

conad
04-04-13, 11:04 PM
I remember you saying that when you found the interior light switch on a Nova. lol

.... ouch lol

Now if you are cunning you could set it up to charge one tank as you use the other and switch over etc.

it would need a 3rd tank somewhere.... to have the motor on.

meritlover
05-04-13, 08:05 AM
the best source of compressor tanks is old (empty) propane cylinders

mowgli
05-04-13, 09:24 AM
all hgv's have multiple tanks in a frame on the side of the chassis, mostly for easy of packaging, but also if one fails, it could be blanked off & you'd still get home just remember to keep a drain in the extra tank to get the moisture out (again, think hgv as they do cheap drain valves).

try a few farm sales/factory auctions, as most people don't need another one & they can go really cheap. we got a massive 3 phase one for £20, and stuck a small diesel engine(£30) on it for mobile tyre repairs

meritlover
05-04-13, 09:44 AM

if the 2 tanks are equally sized and you are using the air quicker than it can be replaced then the net effect is exactly the same.

Stuart
05-04-13, 10:14 AM
yeah but its more fun.

meritlover
05-04-13, 10:16 AM
"There are 3 ways of doing things Lisa, the right way the wrong way and the Max Power way"

"isnt that the wrong way?"

"yes, but its faster"

Stuart
05-04-13, 10:47 AM
technically slower in this case as it would need switches, valves and some thought lol