PDA

View Full Version : driveshafts the same?

marc69
04-04-13, 12:34 PM
I am checking my 1989 1.3 SR for MOT tomorrow and found the passenger outer cv boot is split. I doubt I can get a new one today and have never done one before but I have the complete driveshaft/hub assemblies from my 1992 1.2i car I broke last summer.

Can I just replace the whole driveshaft/hub assembly?

Once the other one is off and I get a boot I will change it and eventually get it all back as it should be but for now I need an MOT.

meritlover
04-04-13, 01:16 PM
Marc69,

in the time it takes you to swap the shafts over, an extra 5 mins will have the gaiters changed and that will be the end of your problems. Most motor factors will have one on the shelf as they are common with many different vehicles.

because its the outer one you can do it with the shaft in situ without worrying about loosing gearbox oil (obviously you will still need to removed the outer CV from the wheel). You only need a pair of needle-nose pliers and something to tighten the steel bands with.

cut the old one off,
guddle about in the grease until you find the 2 legs of the circlip,
squeeze them together with your needle nose and pull off the CV joint,
Slide on the new gaiter,
squeeze the circlip together and relocate the CV joint.
pack the gaiter with grease,
clean the grease off the groove and the inner face of the rubber,
tighten up the bands.
re assemble the hub.

therealnovaboy
04-04-13, 07:27 PM
It's true.

I did mine last week. 40min job without rushing about. And that was removing the whole shaft. You need to split the bottom ballpoint to get the shaft out so watch the gator on the bj. There is a cut out on the cv where the circlip lugs are.

Also use nitrile/ surgical gloves for the professional look.

marc69
04-04-13, 11:58 PM
It's true.

I did mine last week. 40min job without rushing about. And that was removing the whole shaft. You need to split the bottom ballpoint to get the shaft out so watch the gator on the bj. There is a cut out on the cv where the circlip lugs are.

Also use nitrile/ surgical gloves for the professional look.

Well it might take someone with some skills 40 mins but for someone veru unskilled like me.....I got finished two hours ago so that took me...nearly nine hours, seriously.

Even if it passes the MOT, the other side looks like it's not far off so another fun day awaits.......

Thanks for the advice though, I have to learn one way or another!!

therealnovaboy
05-04-13, 08:42 AM
good work,

The other side will take you 40 mins now you know where the circlip is. As long as the hub nut is nice and clean/greased its not a bad job.

I meant to say to use an old/spare front tie bar to lock the front wheel to tighten the hub nut the way it mentions in the green haynes. The holes fit the wheel nuts and locks against the centre of the hub.

marc69
05-04-13, 09:59 PM
Well you are both right, it's not too bad a job second time.

Car failed MOT on uneven brakes and the boot on the other side was too worn to pass.

Took me only 2 hours to change the boot and then another 2 hours to loosen/lubricate calipers and even out the back brakes (do self adjusters ever actually work?). Drove down to leave it for them to do in teh morning, tester was so impressed I had done it all today, he tested it there and then...success! Tomorrow-oil change etc, will it ever end!!!

meritlover
05-04-13, 11:25 PM
Good effort Marc!
happy motoring!