PDA

View Full Version : Rented flat (no child catches on windows)

dc1984
03-04-13, 10:23 PM
Hi folks,

I've lived in my flat for the last 4years but now the wee one is getting to that age where she can get to the windows and trying to push the button and turn the handle, now we live 4 up in a flat and I have asked the landlord to have child safety catches fitted but they keep refusing and saying the flat has been like that for the last 4 years.

Does anyone know if the landlord is responsible for fitting child safe window catches?

Thanks,

David.

Jeff16v
03-04-13, 10:29 PM
Don't think there is a legal responsibility for them to, only for new builds or if the glazing is replaced.

Are they wooden windows frames, bang a screen through the window and frame, it can always be removed and filled later unless you want to buy window locks yourself.

If they are metal a little weld should do the job.

Dan Stanley
03-04-13, 10:30 PM
Hmm, I doubt it. Do you mean a catch that would prevent the window from opening (by a child) or just to limit the amount it opens?
I doubt they'll be that expensive to buy. You can attach metal cathes and such to PVCu windows with short self tapers into the frame.

Martin.p
03-04-13, 10:32 PM
I'm a window fitter & live in a rented house. The land lord fitted catches to our windows (saying I had no choice) and that we couldn't have lockable handles!! (That got changed be me weather they like it or not) and all windows I've fitted for other rented property's have had child catches fitted. That are only small catches that can be fitted to any upvc window!

dc1984
03-04-13, 10:36 PM
The flat is about 6 years old and it has upvc windows.

Yes I just want something to restrict it from opening far enough for her to get near falling out.

Dan Stanley
03-04-13, 10:39 PM
Ask Martin p nice enough and he might 'borrow' some from work and flog 'em to you! lol

sport
03-04-13, 10:39 PM
Davie your a joiner do it yourself :thumb:

dc1984
03-04-13, 10:43 PM
I just didn't want to alter the windows as the lease said I'm not allowed to alter anything.

sport
03-04-13, 10:47 PM
As long as you do it right it will be ok, just say Graeme says so lol

Martin.p
03-04-13, 10:49 PM
^^ lol
So does my agreement. So I've put up a conservatory (borrowd from work :) )and dug up 22 square meters of garden and paved it with a car port over it for nova build and boarded over a door down stairs as living room had 2 doors and kids where running around house like a race track. None of which I asked about! But I've been here 15yr and land lord (lady) loves me!

Martin.p
03-04-13, 10:52 PM
If I can get my hands on catches ;)

Small company though! Finger of blame can come my way easy! Conservatory was one we took down so I was saving skip space :)

Andy
04-04-13, 09:06 AM
Wood or pvc frames?
Pvc frames can be integrated into the hinges.keep old ones to keep the gaylord happy.job jobbed

Andy
04-04-13, 09:08 AM
And forgive me for been harsh here but ****in hell surely the safety of your kids beats a ****ty bogroll of a fukkin tenancy agreement.
I wouldnt think twice.fukk em.fukk anyone.my kids are more important

Royston
04-04-13, 09:18 AM
Why not ask?

conad
04-04-13, 10:04 AM
So I've put up a conservatory (borrowd from work :) )

how the hell do ya sneak that out in ya butty box lol

Jon_nova1
04-04-13, 08:09 PM
I think your landlord needs to look at health and safety guidelines, i may be wrong but isn't there something about having window latches and not being able to lock windows incase of fire?