PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu TD alternator

Jack
03-04-13, 08:24 AM
Sods fcuking law, literally the day I go to put a for sale ad up for the Cav and the bloody thing breaks lol

I think the alternator is goosed - driving along the other day, the rev counter started jumping around and noticed the volt gauge started flickering between 14.5-15v. It stablized around 14-14.4 depending on revs if I put load on the battery (interior fan, headlights etc). Few miles on down the road, the battery warning light and (!) light comes on.

I've swapped the charge relay for another one I had laying about which fixed the problem for a few miles then it happened again, possibly because the relay wasn't up to the job though. Alternator belt seems tight enough although I've not checked if the alt pulley has any slip against it.

Anyone else had similar problems on a TD? Is it new alternator time? I'm guessing it will be alternator + charge relay + belt to do it properly...

MK999
03-04-13, 08:32 PM
One on mine went, was the regulator on the alt, which I found an old school alternator repair place to do, but I never did get the battery light to go off again... charging fine, battery voltage as expected, but it stayed on constantly! It may have goosed the battery overcharging it but I never got as far as replacing it and it ran/started fine so it didn't really bother me, just wanted to take the clocks apart and put some tape over the light lol In fact IIRC I had 2 batteries for the thing and even tried swapping them over.

15v doesn't sound nuts, mine used to hit 18-20v at high revs sat on the drive with no load. Regulator should obviously keep it below this normally.

Spudly
03-04-13, 09:18 PM
Definately the alt, they run the rev counter on the cav so if that spazzes out then its failing, youll know when it fails entirely as the rev counter will die completely!

You should change the charge relay again when you get the alt changed, also iirc the listed fan belt for it is slightly too long, so when you fit a new alt its not uncommon for it to be on max adjustment straight away, and for the fan on the new alt to catch one of the mounts slightly, this will quieten and silence after its worn about .5mm off its fan lol

thespannerman
03-04-13, 09:36 PM
yep!remember fitting two to my dads old cav td for overcharging, fitted one and a new battery as it started to grow lol, a year later ended up fitting another!luckily got it through parts warranty

Jack
04-04-13, 09:45 AM
lol

Got a new charge relay and alt on order. Expected delivery, the day after the insurance runs out. Oh dear!

Belt looks Ok though, there's plenty of room on the adjuster and it was tight enough. Forgot there is an oil pump on the back of it too when I took it off, splurge lol

maddogdaz666
04-04-13, 03:30 PM
How much is it for sale for out of curiosity?

meritlover
04-04-13, 04:20 PM
lol
Forgot there is an oil pump on the back of it too when I took it off, splurge lol

thats the vac pump for the brakes, shouldnt be that much oil in there?!

Jack
04-04-13, 04:37 PM
Well there was enough in there to make a mess lol

How much is it for sale for out of curiosity?
£1k, have a bunch of spares that could be sold with it too. Like a knackered alternator lol

L14MNP
04-04-13, 05:06 PM
Sounds a reliable, well maintained car... lol

BUY BUY BUY