PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 carb and inlet on a 1.2, water pipe question,, please help

mattbourne
02-04-13, 08:41 PM
hi guys i have recently bought a 1.3 inlet and carb for a 1.2, i understand that the 1.3 carb has a auto choke which works by the engine coolant passing through and around the (bell type housing) on the left of the carb itself,, well my question is how do i sort this out if the original carb is manual choke,, the new carb in effect has 2 extra hoses than the original carb do these have to be cut and a t piece added to the water hose that runs behind the carb??? thanks in advance,, bare in mind im abit of a novice,, cheers matt :thumb:

jimbob-mcgrew
03-04-13, 08:24 AM
sounds like you've got it sussed mate :thumb:
make sure you use new gaskets where you need to, where any mated surfaces have been pulled apart.

im pretty sure 1 of the 2 choke pipes, T's into that hose behind the carb (to the heater matrix) the other choke pipe im not 100%. ill try get you a picture of mine later to confirm

youll need a 1.3 or 1.4 throttle cable for the conversion too. and the airbox is also different from your current 1.2.

Jon_nova1
03-04-13, 10:18 AM
you might want to hook your manual choke up in place of the autochoke instead...since they turn rather poo

mattbourne
03-04-13, 05:32 PM
to be honest manual choke would be prefered but i think thats a little in depth for me,, allthough if you know how and wanna earn a few pennies your more than welcome to do it for me? :thumb:

yep jimbob-mcgrew seen one of the pipes that t's into fatter hose that then goes off to the heater matrix behind the carb that pipe was on the carb when i bought it where as the other pipe is not so thats the one im stuck on,, im guessing ones a flow and the other a return similar to the pluming in a house ie: the radiators which would work on the same basis,, :confused:

jimbob-mcgrew
03-04-13, 07:41 PM
had a look at mine matt - both lines T into both heater matrix pipes.

- one on the matrix in
- one on the matrix out.

don't think it matters which goes where on the choke, I don't think its directional.

those carbs can be tempremental if left unserviced.
be prepared for a possible lumpy idle when cold, or a high reving idle when warm (due to the auto choke)

(being that its setup for a 1300) keep an eye on the colour of the spark plugs while your setting it up and after each run. if there sooty black when you check them, youll need to weaken the mixture off slightly to suit the 1200 :thumb:

mattbourne
05-04-13, 05:49 PM
legeng cheers pal, there is a carb and injection centre quite local to me who are quite reasonably priced so when its all bolted up with my new cam and exhaust system i will take it to them and get her set up properly,, thanks for the info jimbob much appreciated,:d