PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue, help required

ash.blue
02-04-13, 06:30 PM
Right to start off its a 1.0l Jreg mk2 ..

Ive had issues left right and centre to be honest. Shoddy electrics, worn gear rubbers, and pins missing. Ive now found some numpty welded the wings to the lower valance :tard:

Anyway as per title, its now failing to start. Ive removed plugs and they seem fine, no damage. I was told possible fuel starvation, ive had filter housing off and pumped the throttle valve and fuel is present.. so im lost .. Other than changing plugs fully im frawing a blank

Any help much appreciated
Ash

conza123
02-04-13, 06:32 PM
have you tryed spraying easy start straight into the carb,

and are you getting a spark

marc69
02-04-13, 06:36 PM
Condensor, points and coil. The points and condensor are cheap so i would replace them first.

You can check for a spark by removing a spark plug and having someone turn the engine (in neutral), watch the spark plug still attched to a lead for a regular spark.

After turning the engine quite a few times, if it is fueling, as you remove the plug, it should be wet with petrol.

marc69
02-04-13, 06:37 PM
Could also be dampness, put wd40 over all electrics etc,

meritlover
02-04-13, 09:49 PM
once you have a spark, put a cap full of fuel down the throat of the carb and see if it fires a few times. if it does, its not getting fuel.

ash.blue
14-04-13, 08:29 PM
Been told easy start spray does more damage and not good for engine, sayin that the bloke who told me this said "try brake cleaner" :/ and then said "having too lil water in tank will seize engine" which I kno is crap soooo in respect .. Does easy start damage engine.

Im getting spark in the cap but wether the plugs are sparking im unsure till I can get helping hand with testing.

If it fires with cap of petrol down carb then could it be the pump ? .. But im getting fuel when I throttle is tweaked theres fuel goin in but lil bits nd drabs.

conza123
14-04-13, 08:32 PM
eazy start doesnt do harm to engine, if it starts on eazy start or fuel straight into carb then you know you have a fueling problem

ash.blue
14-04-13, 09:41 PM
Well ive got a can of easy start on order should be here next week though, will also go garage by me and grab couple quid of fuel in jerry can and see how I get on.

Must remember my water for tank, drained it yesterday to clean bottle looked grubby nd smelt funny from it standing abit

But yer ill try both fuel in carb and easy start after. Makes no difference using choke? Only mine dont have one now

marc69
14-04-13, 09:48 PM
a 1.0 needs the choke to start vbut without you should get a cough.

The ohv engine is fairly tough so a wee drop of easy start (or even a tank of deisel which my dad tried to put through mine) is unlikely to wreck it.

I have run one since 1998, the worst problem is usually ignition.

It is possiblle to cgeck for spark your self, though not recommended for saffety reasons! take out a plug and put it somewhere on the block that you can see it through tthe gap between the bonnet and body (with the lead still attched) its the end you need to see. Now turn it over, you should see a regular strong spark.

Also did you do the check to see if the plugs are getting fuel?

Have you moved the distributor by accident and moved the timing?

With these engines, it is basically spark and fuelling.

marc69
14-04-13, 09:49 PM
and it hasn't siezed if the starter turns it but, make sure the coolant is all in properly before yoyu try again.

ash.blue
14-04-13, 10:05 PM
Yer, lad before me snapped key in door lock. So replaced choke with a starter button .. Why he didnt leave it and drill hole for button I do not know, as I know chokes are effective for starts :/

Ill try the plug fuel test next time im down there, garage isnt at my house and is secure though have couple friends living in the street opposite garage gates :)

Ive not been ive not touched the distributor that I know of .. Starter clicks and spins will take a few 3ltr bottles of water and that down with me

meritlover
14-04-13, 10:14 PM
you could really still do with a choke.

marc69
14-04-13, 10:18 PM
So have you still got the choke on the carb?

If so you need a new ignition barrel (with key) and a choke cable to start getting your car right.

ash.blue
14-04-13, 10:21 PM
Hi meritlover, I have been thinking of refitting one to be honest where it should be and moving the starter button onto a switch panel or something like that

marc69
14-04-13, 10:25 PM
Yer, lad before me snapped key in door lock. So replaced choke with a starter button .. Why he didnt leave it and drill hole for button I do not know, as I know chokes are effective for starts :/

Ill try the plug fuel test next time im down there, garage isnt at my house and is secure though have couple friends living in the street opposite garage gates :)

Ive not been ive not touched the distributor that I know of .. Starter clicks and spins will take a few 3ltr bottles of water and that down with me

My mate broke my key in my boot a few years ago. Took it down to timpson who amde a new one whch I still use daily.

ash.blue
14-04-13, 10:29 PM
Yes marc all choke parts are working on the carb, just no actual cable and choke switchy thing in place

So ill have to wire a barrel in ? Might sound daft question but is that needed?

ash.blue
14-04-13, 10:30 PM
Yes marc all choke parts are working on the carb, just no actual cable and choke switchy thing in place

So ill have to wire a barrel in ? Might sound daft question but is that needed?

ash.blue
14-04-13, 10:37 PM
Other end of key is fully in the door, the actual key from the black key ring loop is about 1/4" nd cant see way of extracting it

meritlover
15-04-13, 05:36 AM
Even without a choke it should start eventually. A couple squirts of the pedal should be enough to get it to cough into life.xxx

ash.blue
15-04-13, 10:40 PM
Nope not even that does it. Ive tried a 2sec press on pedal nd then one pump on it but nothing. Can hear starter pin firing out and clicking but just getting nothin

I know when it was put into storage it was tow started and even then it took some time, like a good 5 mins :/

meritlover
15-04-13, 10:48 PM
is the engine turning over? you have to be a bit clearer with descriptions.

sounds like the battery.

ash.blue
15-04-13, 11:02 PM
The engines trying to turn over .. Ive got 12v at coil and rotar arm is sparking.
Ive got fuel going into the carb, when I tweak the throttle.

I shall have to check the plugs for fuel after a starting attempt, but as I say having a lil torch over the carb I can see fuel going in in lil squirts.

Battery is a lil picky to holding its charge, and sometimes goes flat.

Ive got the easy start coming end of this week. Before I use it I will check for fuel on plugs

meritlover
15-04-13, 11:05 PM
Do the plugs spark? Theyre probably soaked. pull them out and spin it over on the starter to dry the cylinders out

jimbob-mcgrew
15-04-13, 11:37 PM
the carb might be somewhat blocked and not giving enough fuel if its not even trying to start.

get a choke cable fitted, you need it

meritlover
16-04-13, 07:46 AM
it should at least chuff over and cough a few times if the accellerator pump is squirting a bit down the throat of the carb.

ash.blue
20-04-13, 04:00 PM
Down at the garage today .. Waitin for mechanical hand for assistance.

Darren is gonna give me hand checkin plugs for a regular spark. Then try my breaker points and what ever else comes to mind.

Well the petrol is going in the carb, but nothing after it . Theres no coughing or even a splutter of trying to start.

Ive also checked, and luckily the choke cable holding screws and that are still there :)