PDA

View Full Version : C20XE with F20 clearance issues with near side tie-rod. advise please

SILVERSTRIPE
02-04-13, 12:54 PM
As title says. I've ground down the little knob that sticks out of the bottom of the gearbox but I'm still resting on the tie-rod.
Its a track car lowered right down on coilovers.
I've run this on a previous track car and didn't seem to have the same problem
I wondered if there is an easy answer before I start raising suspension or gearbox.
Has anyone mounted the tie-rods to the bottom of the TCA's? What are the pitfalls involved?
Any advice welcome

Cheers

GRUNT 16V
02-04-13, 01:10 PM
Is the actual gearbox rubber mount fecked ?? other than that lower the tiebar mounts at the front by about 25mm

Mieran
02-04-13, 01:17 PM
Lower the tie bar bracket at the cross member by about 25-30 mm

SILVERSTRIPE
02-04-13, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys. Don't suppose you have seen any for sale anywhere, or do you know of a straight-forward fix. I can pack it out easy enough to lower the bracket, but the piece where the bolt goes through horizontally will need to be raised. My welding skills are not to be trusted

Mieran
02-04-13, 02:09 PM
Can get them rose jointed ones off ebay but not cheap, or get a local fabricator to modify your existing brackets

I was lucky and found a pair on ebay a while ago, already modified and came with lowering blocks too

Graeme
02-04-13, 02:14 PM
I run the lowered rose jointed ones and they sound, if I recall correctly £130 off ebay

SILVERSTRIPE
02-04-13, 02:22 PM
Thanks again for the quick response. Cheers

Iain
02-04-13, 02:46 PM
The Protec spherical bearing brackets are pretty nice. I believe they're sold as "anti dive" kits and aim to improve handling as well as give more gearbox clearance so win win.