PDA

View Full Version : drum brakes

silk violet
31-03-13, 06:41 PM
Hi there i have been replacing my brake hoses today on my mk nova 2 gsi and as i tried to undo the bleed nipple on the standard rear drums i snapped it in half and dunno what to do now..??? Do i look at trying to find a set of second hand drums or any suggestions....???? :thumb:

mowgli
31-03-13, 06:45 PM
just buy a replacement rear brake cylinder, they aren't much money. they are cheaper than a stud extractor kit, which you would need, but due to where it is, you would need to remove it anyway..

whilst you are at it, grind the lip off the drum & dismantle & copper grease the self[lol] adjusters. then do the other side too, this will also massively improve your brakes.

i'd suggest replacing the other rear brake cylinder too, cos they are prone to the nipples snapping

silk violet
31-03-13, 08:19 PM
ok cheers mowgli... :thumb: do you recommend go for new rear brake cylinders and how hard are they to source and also is it hard to replace and fit them as mojority of nuts and bolts are rusty....??

mowgli
31-03-13, 08:25 PM
they are usually dead easy to source.. the motor factors usually list 2 sorts, but unless yours is a y or a reg, then its the later one.. they have one small bolt (m6) which usually snaps when you try to remove it.

silk violet
31-03-13, 08:50 PM
just managed to source a brand new set of borg and beck delivered all inc on egay for £16.08 for the pair....:thumb::thumb: cheers mowgli your a star.:)