PDA

View Full Version : Still dodgey idle! Anyone local to me?

nova_saloon
31-03-13, 01:10 PM
I have had a dodgey idle on my nova for 5 years! It's been driving me potty but I've always just accepted it as I did everything nice got 5 spare idle control valves sitting in the garage! I tried them all and no difference, when I unplug the ICV it's just runs at a steady pace quite high mind! But I've looked for everything now, vacuum leaks dodgey sensors! But nothing seems to work! It just keeps making a horrible gasping noise and the just revs like a **** up and down! It does it hot and cold! Lil better when cold I think! But I've replaced the cts switch and to no avail! So if anyone is local to me with. C20xe coil pack engine or something like that! Please let me know! Or other things I can try to sort it out!

Benn
31-03-13, 05:28 PM
Knock and icv plugged in around the right way? Sure ive heard of that giving bad running.
When you clear your icv, do you re-oil it?
Sure theres no air leaks?

meritlover
31-03-13, 06:23 PM
what is dodgy about it? missing? lumpy? hunting? please elaborate.

Rage
31-03-13, 10:55 PM
spry something like brake cleaner or wd40 around the intake gasket if it is sucking air in past the intake gasket then the fuel mix will be wrong and cause hunting on idle and by using the wd40 you will see it get sucked into the manifold and then know that its that gasket that needs replacing

jimbob-mcgrew
01-04-13, 07:09 AM
newskool engines and there sensors ! (a neverending battle sometimes)

if you've tried absolutely everything, I was gonna mention checking out the loom for any damage

jimbob-mcgrew
01-04-13, 01:34 PM
where abouts in London are you mate ?

I would say I could possibly help out, altho im moving house today, out of London.
if you live on the westside of town, It might not be too far from where im going.

nova_saloon
02-04-13, 05:10 PM
Im south London, Just south of the beloved town of croydon! HA! But all 5 ICV i have stuck on have been cleaned properly. and i have checked the plugs i number of times but no i havent messed it up. Its red one to Knock sensor and black on to ICV. ive replaced the gaskets on it as well as te throttle body and inlet manifold and has made no difference! The loom has been fully tested and is fine.
Ive taken a video of it, but its actually usually worse then this, its goes up to 2000rpm on its bit spurts of stupidity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdli6AS7P0

meritlover
02-04-13, 05:46 PM
i think you can be pretty sure its not the ICV. it sounds horrendous.
I would check the mixture. If it was fitted with a lambda sensor originally, then check it works.

nova_saloon
02-04-13, 07:55 PM
ive replaced the Lambda Sensor twice since ive had the car, mind you with second hand ones. but it never made a blind bit of difference! it does smell slightly rich however! its a coil pack type btw

jimbob-mcgrew
02-04-13, 08:02 PM
does it rev up alright ?

I guess you've comp. tested it already ?

are all 4 plugs the same colour ?

nova_saloon
02-04-13, 08:13 PM
all four plugs are the same color a healthy color too and the compression is pretty spot on its about 210psi and revs up beautifully. Changed the coil pack, AFM, Throttle Positioning sensor, ignition amplifier, lambda sensor, crank sensor, air temperature sensor, ICV, knock sensor, injectors, loom (5 times), different ECU's PL and PT's. (i think its PL anyways the other one ive got) changed the CTS switch a long time ago, and put the original back on as it didnt make a difference, but tempted to do it again.

Benn
02-04-13, 08:27 PM
Fuel pump/relay/pressure ok?

nova_saloon
02-04-13, 08:46 PM
yeah replaced pump and relay, but maybe worth checking again

Benn
02-04-13, 08:47 PM
Sure your fuel pressure if you can too.

Martin.p
02-04-13, 09:16 PM
Have you changed coolant temp sensor lately? Good to change them yearly! Can make it run poor.

meritlover
02-04-13, 09:44 PM
you could be chasing your tail by changing out parts with second hand ones. Especially things like lambda sensors.

Jeff16v
02-04-13, 10:20 PM
I would do a systematic check of wiring, earths to fuel rail, cooked\damaged loom (most of the running issues i've had have been damaged loom, i repaired it countless times. Check fuel pressure at rail to see if you have air coming out of the bleed valve.

Bring it round, I'm off tomorrow all day. You remember where I am?

nova_saloon
03-04-13, 01:51 AM
Hey Jeff, I cant remeber exactly where you are, but ive got a typhoid injection tomorrow around 4 and the thing is turning in to a shed! haha. but checked everything electrical now! may give the coolant temp switch another go. But i imagine if it doesnt work i will just jump on over! just need you address again!

jimbob-mcgrew
03-04-13, 07:51 AM
:eek: thypoid shot !! :eek:

nova_saloon
29-04-13, 09:47 PM
Right ive given another chekc over replaced the CTS switch for a intermoto part only cost 10 odd quid but its still doing it. fuel pressure is fine as well Benn. About any time Jeff? got any spare coil pack bits? hammer maybe to smash it with haha

meritlover
29-04-13, 10:00 PM
what was the fuel pressure?

have you setup the TPS? often if the resistance of the TPS is such that the ECU doesnt think the throttle is closed the closed loop Idle control wont kick in and it wont sit with steady ign timing, so it is constantly chasing its tail. i know you have changed it but it may need set up. the same effect can be had if the butterfly is choked with gunge, or if the throttle stop has been moved. there isnt enough bypass air across the butterfly to allow decent range on the ICV.

im surprised the idle rises when you pull the ICV. normally an engine will sit at base idle (set by the throttle stop) and the ICV increases it. would be worth someone with a good setup to pull it and see if it does the same. it could be again a sign that the throttle stop is too high and its struggling to drive the RPM low on the ICV.
anyway, im only thinking out loud....

have you measured the emissions at idle? that would give away what is going on.

nova_saloon
30-04-13, 03:27 PM
well whenever the emissions where done at the m.o.t station is passed so i assumed they were fine. Yeah makes a bit of sense that with the idle control valve and TPS, though i have replaced it as said, but also cleaned the throttle body and replaced the throttle body with one that was stated as working fine. though there is a stop im not sure if it touching it correctly. Where are you based any way Lover of Merits? you have many words of wisdom, i could do with this...... and a hammer. always need a hammer. however when i unplugged the TPS it did idle ridiculously low. and was jumping about still. keeping itself alive. god i wish it was just sorted haha! might go give it all another clean just while i wait on a reply.

nova_saloon
30-04-13, 07:35 PM
Also it's a coil pack, and there a fixed TPS! So no adjustment can be done

meritlover
30-04-13, 07:39 PM
is the crank trigger wheel buckled or bashed? any mis shapen teeth on it?

nova_saloon
25-06-13, 04:46 PM
nope, and ive replaced the crank on a rebuild of the engine since

bakerboy83
25-06-13, 07:10 PM
I feel for you mate my c20xe is doing the same but I haven't looked in to it yet and I fear this might be hard for me to sort as I know next to nothing about engines :confused: