PDA

View Full Version : 4 speed box to a 5 speed box, help needed,,

mattbourne
31-03-13, 10:29 AM
hi guys iv had a search for this and not seemed to find much info, iv just bought a 1.2 carbed nova 1988 with a 4 speed box i want to swap it for a 5 speed, has any one done this before im taking a guess thats its just unbolt 1 and bolt the other up as some 1.2 carbed novas had 5 speed boxes on them, can any one point me in the right direction this is my third nova and will be the start of a big project, thats staying small block for a change, and is it the F13 box that i need as they seem to be quite common??? thanks in advance fellow nova lovers :thumb:

maddogdaz666
31-03-13, 10:49 AM
Yes mate just swap the box for a 5 speed f10/13 job done

meritlover
31-03-13, 11:14 AM
Yes mate just swap the box for a 5 speed f10/13 job done

not entirely...

...in order to truly get the benefit from that extra gear your box has to offer, you will need to modify the gear lever by removing the plastic travel stop under the gaiter. Then re adjust the linkage as per the Haynes.

Dan Stanley
31-03-13, 11:23 AM
not entirely...

...in order to truly get the benefit from that extra gear your box has to offer, you will need to modify the gear lever by removing the plastic travel stop under the gaiter. Then re adjust the linkage as per the Haynes.

This man speaks the truth. If you lift up the rubber gear gaitor inside the car, you'll see theres a white (nylon) plastic block that hits the right hand side of the car when you pull the gearstick across to the drivers door. This will need hacksawing so that the gearstick can travel further over towards the drivers door. The ideal way is to measure how much of that block is on a 5 speed gear stick and cut yours back to match.

mattbourne
31-03-13, 12:07 PM
thanks guys the info really is appreciated,