PDA

View Full Version : electric fuel pump with carb tank

jimbob-mcgrew
31-03-13, 03:01 AM
can it be made to work ok ?
I remember reading something a while back about, if the tanks half full or over its ok, is that right ?

would be for a 20seh (much of a drinker ?)

waggygsi
31-03-13, 02:55 PM
mines an electric pump on my nova with a carb tank and its fine??

Nobby
31-03-13, 03:05 PM
Youll just get tank slap on cornering as basically the pump will suck air as theres no swirl pot in the tank

mowgli
31-03-13, 05:23 PM
you could fit a separate feed pump & swirl pot... at big cost.. you could fit a mk2 spi tank with a corsa b/ mk3 astra mpi pump (modded to fit) which would be cheap & tidy.. but, if you run your carb tank much below 1/2 full with an external pump & plan to corner proper fast, on right handers it will suck air & you look a tit whilst it splutters for the next 200yds and will bugger the pump [trust me, you pass someone into a bend & then look like the biggest dick on the planet as they bugger off on the next straight]...

anyone who says its fine simply isn't driving fast enough lol lol

jimbob-mcgrew
01-04-13, 01:51 AM
nice explanation there mowgli lol

I only ask as I cant afford to do the whole lot at once, and the car has to be kept as a daily during the conversion

cheers for replies :thumb:

mowgli
01-04-13, 11:46 AM
a mk2 tank & an mpi pump can be sorted/modded off the car. then its only a few monutes work, once you've removed the exhaust to swap the tank over. you'll need to fit high pressure fuel lines anyway

chrisd1986
01-04-13, 11:53 AM
can you just run a spi tank with a external?

mowgli
01-04-13, 11:55 AM
no. there isn't a pipe for the pump to suck fuel from.

chrisd1986
01-04-13, 11:57 AM
im just gona run a external for now on mine to save on cost

mowgli
01-04-13, 12:03 PM
so where do you plan to connect up the pump?? as the outlet comes out the top pump plate....

you can get a mpi pump from a scrappers out of a daewoo/astra mk3 or a corsa for not much & its (apart from cutting the intake pipe down) a straight fit. the fuel lines should also be ok from the spi to the mpi

chrisd1986
01-04-13, 12:11 PM
im running a carb tank on mine aswell so al just mount it inline either underneath or in the bay

mowgli
01-04-13, 12:14 PM
if you must fit it to a carb tank, do not fit it in the bay.. the in-line pump is designed to push fuel, not pull it... once installed under the car, it takes very little time to get fuel into it. if its in the bay, it takes a lot more effort to get the fuel there. i fitted my first pump there & it killed it pretty quickly.

chrisd1986
01-04-13, 12:23 PM
thanks for the advice