PDA

View Full Version : why aren't young men wearing seatbelts???? serious question

mowgli
29-03-13, 10:20 AM
i've been noticing that the vast majority of young blokes, as in under 25 aren't wearing seatbelts any more..

the govt statistics point out that men under the age of 25 are the most likely to die in a car crash..

i've made the link, and having survived a near fatal crash because of wearing a seatbelt i can see the reason for always wearing one.

please can the younger people on here shed some light on this? is it a cool thing? is it cos of movie stars not wearing them? what is the reason?

thankyou

marc69
29-03-13, 10:30 AM
Having had a serious accident 5 years ago and escaping with only cuts and bruises, I was aware during the accident (when time slows down) that even in a Nova, the seatbelt clamped me in place whilst the car was spun around, without the belt I wuld have been bashed around the car and probably ended up out a window on the road.

It takes two second to put on a seatbelt, they are not like harnesses and restrictive or anything so why wouldn't you wear one?

My 1960 mini doesn't have seatbelts at all, and when driving it, you are well aware it doesn't have belts and the increased risk so in a car that does have belts and is an everyday day car, I see no reason not to wear them?

Nearly forgot, I am not one of the younger lot, I am now one of the old grumpies!

turbojolt
29-03-13, 10:31 AM
i always wear mine and always have, it doesn't feel right driving with out one on

wearing one has saved my life aswell

Southie
29-03-13, 10:32 AM
It's just lazyness.

ben doodar
29-03-13, 10:40 AM
My mate would never wear his seatbelt in my car. He always said he'd be alright in a crash and brace himself when he saw said crash about to happend. So 1 day after he wouldn't put his belt on I performed an emergency stop doing about 25-30mph he landed on the dash n hit his head on the windscreen.
Didn't see that one coming did you?? He now wears his seatbelt when traveling with me.

Jon_nova1
29-03-13, 11:00 AM
I had a small crash while wearing a seatbelt, gave me a dodgy back that traps nerves and can make me immobile, if i wasn't wearing one i would have walked away with at most a bloody nose.

Although i do tend to wear one unless i'm going somewhere in the vicinity which is laziness and everywhere close by is 20-30MPH

camels toe
29-03-13, 11:06 AM
Simple. Because they`re complete and utter cocks.

bazzap8389
29-03-13, 11:26 AM
I always wear my belt but I think some of the older generation are just as bad especially taxi drivers, everytime I'm in one they never have their belts on.

Trivs_Tom
29-03-13, 11:52 AM
I always wear one, but I imagine not wearing one comes from the false perception of invincibility, and the 'I won't crash' argument. Not that people ever think that maybe they'll get crashed in to..

Stuart
29-03-13, 11:56 AM
I've driven on a handling sprint course with and without a seatbelt. My times were dramatically slower with no belt and felt really uneasy, and it was one at a time on the course.

There are states in America where a belt is optional, you should see the mess after a crash test and that's just with the dummies... Twunts.

Andy
29-03-13, 12:13 PM
You would have to be totally retarded to not wear a seat belt.

Hobbit
29-03-13, 12:21 PM
I always wear my belt but I think some of the older generation are just as bad especially taxi drivers, everytime I'm in one they never have their belts on.

Taxi drivers don't have to wear them, stops passengers trying to strangle them.

bazzap8389
29-03-13, 12:28 PM
^ from behind a wall of Perspex??

Pistol Pete
29-03-13, 12:30 PM
Not all taxis are black cabs ^

bazzap8389
29-03-13, 12:32 PM
True story, had a quick look on the net seems you are correct :) learn something new everyday!

mowgli
29-03-13, 12:52 PM
I've driven on a handling sprint course with and without a seatbelt. My times were dramatically slower with no belt and felt really uneasy, and it was one at a time on the course.

There are states in America where a belt is optional, you should see the mess after a crash test and that's just with the dummies... Twunts.

because yanks as a rule don't wear belts...in the early 90's, us manufacturers actually designed belt systems with the inetrial reel built into a track on the [heavily strengthened] door, so as you opened the door, it moved the belt out of the way, and wrapped it round the driver when the door was closed... but the driver could undo it at the normal buckle end, so they did...

also in the us, there are no laws about young kids riding in the front, so because a lot of kids were being killed in head on smashes, when the airbag was snapping their necks, manufacturers started fitting cut off switches for passenger airbags!!!!!!

in terms of deaths per head of population, britain is about the safest place on the planet to drive a car at the moment

_Jake
29-03-13, 01:00 PM
You would have to be totally retarded to not wear a seat belt.
90% of young people are

Jack
29-03-13, 01:10 PM
Only times I ever leave the belt off is if I'm moving cars round on the drive, even then it feels weird

L14MNP
29-03-13, 01:27 PM
Always have and always will.

I just don't feel right without it.

Edd
29-03-13, 01:31 PM
Most young men have the seat wound down so low they wouldn't be able to tell if they had a belt on

johnd
29-03-13, 01:45 PM
the cousin died in a car crash all because he didnt wear a seat belt. he went through the front window if he had of being wearing his seat belt he would of surived

mowgli
29-03-13, 02:09 PM
Most young men have the seat wound down so low they wouldn't be able to tell if they had a belt on

and that is also bemusing, but i did that thread years ago.....

mowgli
29-03-13, 02:11 PM
the cousin died in a car crash all because he didnt wear a seat belt. he went through the front window if he had of being wearing his seat belt he would of surived

that is very sad news, but unfortunately all too common. some local lads in a civic were doing about a ton in a 40 limit & overtook someone round a bend and into the path of another car. no seat belts, both died

grooge
29-03-13, 03:02 PM
i'm bad for not wearing a seatbelt, i got into it from working as milk boy from 10 or 11 years old and just sitting on an empty crate or standing up, still delivering milk now and no point in wearing a belt at work.

i find i always put it on as soon as i hit the local dual carriageway and up my speed and i always wear it if i'm taking the car out a run, but just going to the shops round the corner or the like i usually forget.

when i first started driving i never ever wore a belt but after a few fines i'm slowly learning to put it on! i know its stupid but i just find it a hard habit to shake, i do try and make an effort to put it on now though.

been in big crashes both with and without a belt aswell.

brainsnova
29-03-13, 04:26 PM
I always wear mine it's a bit like having to use the key to start it well you need the belt to drive it

jonn
29-03-13, 04:37 PM
i would never get in a car without using a seat belt, its there for a reason.

i have heard a few very nasty stores what happens to people when they went through a windscreen.

pie
29-03-13, 04:41 PM
i do wear a belt

but when i had my crash 4 years "if" i had my belt on i would of broke my back the doctors said

Alex J
29-03-13, 05:20 PM
never wear one in the van, bad habit i know, but thats how i roll (awaits a ton of abuse lol)

turbojolt
29-03-13, 05:23 PM
never wear one in the van, bad habit i know, but thats how i roll (awaits a ton of abuse lol)

tut tut tut lol

L14MNP
29-03-13, 06:30 PM

You will have a ton of cargo on you if you do roll.

Calamity Josh
29-03-13, 06:57 PM
someone doesn't put there seatbelt on while in my car they get out and walk, simple

TeddyThom
30-03-13, 11:30 AM
I always wear my belt in whatever vehicle I'm driving. The only time I don't wear my seatbelt is in the truck I ride in for work and my mates landrover series 2a. Other than that it's always on. A friend got in my car one day and she was used to never wearing a seatbelt. I actually sat on the side of the road for twenty minutes and turned the engine off waiting for her to work it out. She soon got the hint.

Another friend had this arguement with his missus and proceeded to do an emergency stop (from 15mph) so she headbutted the windscreen. She got the hint very very quickly after that.

maddogdaz666
30-03-13, 12:43 PM
When I first started driving 14 years ago I always wore it , but for some reason when I was about 19 I bought a cav GSI and never wore it in that, I used to always automatically put it in but never in that car, dunno why? :tard:
I barely ever wear it in the work van, but always wear it when I have my daughter in the car. And now I'm nearly 30 I'm wearing it a lot as I suppose i best at least try n grow up lol

burgo
30-03-13, 02:48 PM
In my job I move about 100 cars a day so getting in and not putting my belt on is normal for me. Even wih that I almost always remember to put it on outside of work

Alex J
30-03-13, 06:30 PM
You will have a ton of cargo on you if you do roll.And the rest, probley why i dont wear it, if i crash im toast anyway lol

mowgli
31-03-13, 04:42 PM
ffs..... driving commercial vehicles with loads not secured!!!!!! bloody amateurs...

if a van has a bulkhead, it will protect you to a certain degree, but there is definitely an epidemic of 'white van men' in this country...

its one thing i won't miss now i'm not on the hgv's full time.. some idiot trying to break the land speed record in a transit for 50p a mile...

Alex J
31-03-13, 06:15 PM
ffs..... driving commercial vehicles with loads not secured!!!!!! bloody amateurs...

if a van has a bulkhead, it will protect you to a certain degree, but there is definitely an epidemic of 'white van men' in this country...

its one thing i won't miss now i'm not on the hgv's full time.. some idiot trying to break the land speed record in a transit for 50p a mile...what is the land speed record for a van?? , i am white van man and proud, couldnt do a lorry job as 56mph would drive me mental lol

conad
31-03-13, 06:26 PM
I'm a big supporter of seat belts... Unlike most of my friends! But 1 of them crashed and rolled his car, he was thrown out of the back window, and was told that if he'd been wearing his belt... He'd be dead!

mowgli
31-03-13, 06:36 PM
what is the land speed record for a van?? , i am white van man and proud, couldnt do a lorry job as 56mph would drive me mental lol

when you can't hear the padlock rattling on the back door, it has reached the sound barrier....lol

the m1 from jn15 southwards is the scary bit.. they come down the on ramps like a hotwheels car trying to loop the loop & when presented with a wagon doing 56[which i will agree is way too slow but just imagine a crash where a 44t truck comes sailing in at 70mph to make sure there are no survivors] decides to try & push it over into lane 2, where several vehicles already are... then when they realise its not a safe option & braking to go into the gap is the best option, they then keep coming at ludicrous speed & try to scare the wagon out of the way...

and later in the day, when they are heading home, they enjoy playing the outbraking game from lane 2 to the off ramp and flash across in front of the wagon mere centimetres off the bumper so they can then queue at the roundabout..

when we advertised for a professional van driver on the job centre plus website, we asked for an older person with plenty of experience, and they told us we couldn't do that cos it was discrimination.... so we simply turned down 95% of the applications, and took on a bloke in his 50's who is more than happy with 70mph as his maximum speed & will safely do 400 miles in a day(which is his biggest run, once a fortnight) the van is being looked after & makes money.

mowgli
31-03-13, 06:37 PM
I'm a big supporter of seat belts... Unlike most of my friends! But 1 of them crashed and rolled his car, he was thrown out of the back window, and was told that if he'd been wearing his belt... He'd be dead!

yeah.. i have heard this a few times, but who told him?? an expert in crash protection, or a traffic cop??

conad
31-03-13, 06:50 PM
yeah.. i have heard this a few times, but who told him?? an expert in crash protection, or a traffic cop??

The hospital told him, his roof was about 6" from his seat (I've seen pictures)

Alex J
31-03-13, 06:53 PM
when you can't hear the padlock rattling on the back door, it has reached the sound barrier....lol

the m1 from jn15 southwards is the scary bit.. they come down the on ramps like a hotwheels car trying to loop the loop & when presented with a wagon doing 56[which i will agree is way too slow but just imagine a crash where a 44t truck comes sailing in at 70mph to make sure there are no survivors] decides to try & push it over into lane 2, where several vehicles already are... then when they realise its not a safe option & braking to go into the gap is the best option, they then keep coming at ludicrous speed & try to scare the wagon out of the way...

and later in the day, when they are heading home, they enjoy playing the outbraking game from lane 2 to the off ramp and flash across in front of the wagon mere centimetres off the bumper so they can then queue at the roundabout..

when we advertised for a professional van driver on the job centre plus website, we asked for an older person with plenty of experience, and they told us we couldn't do that cos it was discrimination.... so we simply turned down 95% of the applications, and took on a bloke in his 50's who is more than happy with 70mph as his maximum speed & will safely do 400 miles in a day(which is his biggest run, once a fortnight) the van is being looked after & makes money.400 in a day, tut tut, he will be over this taco hours, my van has a speed warning limiter at 120mph , havent reached it yet lol

mowgli
31-03-13, 06:54 PM
if a crash is that impressive, then a survival is always a bonus, but having the belt on & being in the seat might just have also saved him.

conad
31-03-13, 06:57 PM
It looked horrific, 1 of those crashes that makes your balls twitch when you see it.

Alex J
31-03-13, 06:57 PM
if this trucker was wearing his, i reckon he would have died, watch him jump out at the end!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaahOW8_mGM

on a diffrent note, can you still ride a million mile un hour bike in USA without a lid lol

mowgli
31-03-13, 06:58 PM
400 in a day, tut tut, he will be over this taco hours, my van has a speed warning limiter at 120mph , havent reached it yet lol

well, at an average of 60mph, doing majority motorway work, he can drive for 9 hrs, which is actually 540 miles and if he needed to, a 10 hr day is allowed, so 600miles is doable.... so 400 miles is nowt..
the big wagons average 50mph on motorway runs & they can do 400+miles in a day shift

Alex J
31-03-13, 07:05 PM
well, at an average of 60mph, doing majority motorway work, he can drive for 9 hrs, which is actually 540 miles and if he needed to, a 10 hr day is allowed, so 600miles is doable.... so 400 miles is nowt..
the big wagons average 50mph on motorway runs & they can do 400+miles in a day shifti can do plymouth and back, 630mile round trip in 11 hours, this includes and hour messing around unloading, and two derv stops, i do MEGA miles a week lol

mowgli
31-03-13, 07:17 PM
i can do plymouth and back, 630mile round trip in 11 hours, this includes and hour messing around unloading, and two derv stops, i do MEGA miles a week lol
what's your rate per mile?

mowgli
31-03-13, 07:22 PM
if this trucker was wearing his, i reckon he would have died, watch him jump out at the end!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaahOW8_mGM

well, i can pretty well guarantee you it wasn't brake failure.. cos the spring brake units are designed to come on when the air fails.. more like the usual driver pissed off his head.. but the bloke in the van most likely did have his belt on.. the door opened ok & he climbed out to change his undergarments

on a diffrent note, can you still ride a million mile un hour bike in USA without a lid lol

certain states have no helmet laws....

Alex J
31-03-13, 07:22 PM
what's your rate per mile?day rate of 85, plus £50 extra for long runs, i.e north to harrogate, , mid and west wales, and right down the west country, also up as far a cleethorpes etc, i get three long runs per week, sometimes more or less, they pay my phone bill, company credit card to buy ANYTHING, and use the van to tow track cars/ go mountain biking weekends, surfing, and staying away for long weekends if im down devon way on a friday etc when i wish , family business, and they even took me back after my illness, top firm!