PDA

View Full Version : EPAS, worth the effort?

bazil
25-03-13, 10:10 PM
For those who run EPAS on their nova, is it worth fitting it?

The rack I have is 2.5 lock to lock quick rack, I have corsa B full EPAS set up and AK transducer,

Is it worth fitting it or just use another rack instead?

I drive a combo C with EPAS and to be honest the steering feels dull with little feedback.

For's and again'st please :)

kbnova
25-03-13, 10:14 PM
i dont think its worth the hassle to be honest, been in novas in the past with epas, a mod that was a must years ago just to say you had it, but bit crap

Iain
25-03-13, 10:16 PM
13k miles, several track days and all sorts of driving and I love mine.

bazil
25-03-13, 10:17 PM
Was that with a quick rack fitted or standard ratio rack?

I found it a ballache parking with a quick rack, living with it everyday was grim

kbnova
25-03-13, 10:31 PM
better for motorsport use

mowgli
25-03-13, 10:34 PM
if you get the steering 'weight' right, i'd say its a good idea... but if its set too light, there is no feel at all, then its like a citroen picasso & thus, crap

bazil
25-03-13, 10:35 PM
better for motorsport use

On the A and B roads where I live the q-rack was simply awesome, but in town it's grim,

The novas you had driven were they standard racks or Q-racks?

Stuart
25-03-13, 10:35 PM
I've driven some very aggressively diffed Novas with quick racks and tyres ranging from high perf street res to semi slicks and never felt the need for assistance with the steering and I'm no beefcake lol

bazil
25-03-13, 10:36 PM
if you get the steering 'weight' right, i'd say its a good idea... but if its set too light, there is no feel at all, then its like a citroen picasso & thus, crap

I'm torn between speed sensetive or manual adjuster if I go ahead and fit it ?

Kind of leaning towards manual adjuster,

bazil
25-03-13, 10:38 PM
I've driven some very aggressively diffed Novas with quick racks and tyres ranging from high perf street res to semi slicks and never felt the need for assistance with the steering and I'm no beefcake lol

Eh I weigh 65 kg lol, I struggle to lift a F28 box lol
Needing all the help I can get I feel,

kbnova
25-03-13, 10:40 PM
drove road nova with std rack /epas, which in my eyes wasnt worth the money to set up, but q-rack in rally car i drove was good, but the rally suspension helped with it,
perfect for hard driving which helped with heavy steering into shape corners, but if its a daily car im not sure

Mieran
25-03-13, 10:42 PM
My Corsa B with EPS is **** compared to my mum's honda jazz with eps!

The honda has more weight and feel to it, so im guessing a vauxhall eps system with adjuster will make best of both worlds?

bazil
25-03-13, 10:51 PM
drove road nova with std rack /epas, which in my eyes wasnt worth the money to set up, but q-rack in rally car i drove was good, but the rally suspension helped with it,
perfect for hard driving which helped with heavy steering into shape corners, but if its a daily car im not sure

It'll be a XE and quick rack, and used on the track too, I have the black one for comfort so this one will be the toy

My Corsa B with EPS is **** compared to my mum's honda jazz with eps!

The honda has more weight and feel to it, so im guessing a vauxhall eps system with adjuster will make best of both worlds?

That's what in hoping for, sometimes I feel on the combo that the EPAS can be slow to react too and hits tight spots, hopefully manual adjustment would cure that,

Mieran
25-03-13, 11:20 PM
Either way with or without EPS column i would never use standard nova rack with million turn to turn

brainsnova
26-03-13, 12:18 AM
The fun of driving a nova is part of the steering

Hobbit
26-03-13, 12:32 AM
Got epas with manual adjuster with standard rack on mine. I loves is, but I do have a twenty million tonne engine.

bazil
26-03-13, 12:34 AM
Have you even weighed it hobbit? Axle weights style ?

Hobbit
26-03-13, 12:37 AM
Not sure I want to know. lol

bazil
26-03-13, 12:43 AM
lol, any overloaded front axle gen??

Stuart
26-03-13, 10:23 AM
90/10 distribution lol

Iain
26-03-13, 11:18 AM
Was that with a quick rack fitted or standard ratio rack?

Quaife quickrack and Corsa EPAS column straightened using the Corsa double UJ. Running off a manual 'Rallywiz' adjuster with dial on the dashboard.

Even on the 'heaviest' setting it's too light really but it's so quick and easy to turn in I love it. Looks easy enough to wire it into speed sensitive as well as a controller to get your preferred steering feel though.

Wind it up and you can turn both wheels on the floor with just the boss and no wheel which is handy for when I'm pushing it about.

bazil
26-03-13, 02:07 PM
Cheers for that Iain

I shall have a good read at your build thread later :)

Edd
26-03-13, 02:23 PM
Mines all ready to go with a AK transducer

No idea when I will actually be using the Sport again tho lol

Personal preference, but I can't see the point in the adjuster thing

bazil
26-03-13, 02:32 PM
I think it's more suited to the rally boys?

On gravel with wheels spinning trying to get traction the feeling would be all over the place with the speed sensor controling weight maybe?

Mieran
26-03-13, 02:39 PM
The whole thing where the faster you go it gets heavier when ecu gets reading from vss is bollocks imo

On the Bs & Cs I've had the steering weight never changes no matter what speed you're doing

mowgli
26-03-13, 04:01 PM
/\ and in a normal non power steering car, the steering gets lighter the faster you go, so in an epas car, it compensates to give a consistent 'feel' for people who really couldn't care a stuff how these things work, namely, women.

meritlover
26-03-13, 04:12 PM
The whole thing where the faster you go it gets heavier when ecu gets reading from vss is bollocks imo

On the Bs & Cs I've had the steering weight never changes no matter what speed you're doing

That's the whole point of it.

mk1nova_rich
26-03-13, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't bother with EPAS personally, Novas really don't need it even with a quick rack

chrisd1986
26-03-13, 06:23 PM
is there a guide on how to fit it on here and how do you get around the ignition barrel location? and also which is the better unit corsa b or c?

Iain
27-03-13, 05:49 PM
I've heard the C unit is more reliable but it's a bit bigger/heavier I think.

Ignition barrel position, don't fit the cowling lol

Edd
27-03-13, 06:06 PM
i must of put 10 hours of effort in to get the barrel/cowling to line up like OE, mega mega hassle

had to chop another nova column down line it all up, cut the corsa outer column and weld together

i better like it when i finally drive it lol

Benn
27-03-13, 06:32 PM
Got epas with manual adjuster with standard rack on mine. I loves is, but I do have a twenty million tonne engine.

You still run a Mk2 fuse box too yes? Does it all fit ok in? As i've heard people they the motor hits the fuse box?

i must of put 10 hours of effort in to get the barrel/cowling to line up like OE, mega mega hassle

had to chop another nova column down line it all up, cut the corsa outer column and weld together

i better like it when i finally drive it lol

See that's what's been stopping me fit one. Is it really that bad to get it all to line up?

Edd
27-03-13, 06:40 PM
it is bad to do yes

but now ive done one i could do one easy again, could sort you with measurements/pics etc if you did want to do it

Benn
27-03-13, 06:55 PM
Guessing mk1 and 2 are in the same place still...

Mine having a let,F28 and large drop means my steering is bloody heavy and my column needs changing anyway.

Edd
27-03-13, 06:56 PM
yeah same place, i even tried a mk2 cowling on there to check

you got all the bits to do it? Rich/Novasport is selling a full set up...

Benn
27-03-13, 06:58 PM
No, i have nothing. Almost bought it a while back with wasn't sure.. Need to know about the mk2 fuse box prob too.

Hobbit
27-03-13, 07:47 PM
Don't think I have any probs with fuse box. Will go and have a look and see how tight it is.

Benn
27-03-13, 08:14 PM
Please.

I've been very temped with it. If fitting a man adjuster easy?

_Jake
27-03-13, 08:41 PM
I've heard the C unit is more reliable but it's a bit bigger/heavier I think.

Ignition barrel position, don't fit the cowling lol
I have a C EPAS column i bought in error, i wouldnt say its light... lol

Novasport
27-03-13, 08:47 PM
On the Corsa B column it is just the holes do not line up for the steering lock. I would say the easiest way to sort it is cut a rectangular piece out of a spare column and weld it in to the hole. Then you can cut a new hole.
I have a complete setup for sale with the speed sensor ;). See the FS section.

Benn
27-03-13, 08:55 PM
Just the steering lock? Mines so far out the wheels upside down when it goes on anyway..lol

Novasport
27-03-13, 09:03 PM
Where it clamps on, so the barrell will sit in a different position and not in alignment with the cowling

Southie
27-03-13, 09:27 PM
I loved my quickrack, I'm a skinny mini though and would have liked the extra powers to move when parking as the quickracks are a nightmare lol

bazil
27-03-13, 09:29 PM
I loved my quickrack, I'm a skinny mini though and would have liked the extra powers to move when parking as the quickracks are a nightmare lol

This is my thinking too lol, I loved the quick rack when moving but hated it at slow speeds

Benn
27-03-13, 09:35 PM
Where it clamps on, so the barrell will sit in a different position and not in alignment with the cowling

Ah i see, bugger.

I'd really like to do this mod too.

Edd
27-03-13, 09:41 PM
On the Corsa B column it is just the holes do not line up for the steering lock. I would say the easiest way to sort it is cut a rectangular piece out of a spare column and weld it in to the hole. Then you can cut a new hole.
I have a complete setup for sale with the speed sensor ;). See the FS section.

I tried that, main top bit that bolts to the bit coming off the shell don't line up then

Benn
27-03-13, 10:05 PM
So is the C one better to use?

Edd
28-03-13, 12:04 AM
Corsa C has different steering wheel fitment, splines etc

_Jake
28-03-13, 12:51 PM
So is the C one better to use?
They dont fit straight up to a nova rack and as edd said you need a C specific boss. I can PM you some detailed pics of mine if you like

Benn
17-04-13, 09:04 PM
Don't think I have any probs with fuse box. Will go and have a look and see how tight it is.

Any luck? Do it hit the fuse box?

They dont fit straight up to a nova rack and as edd said you need a C specific boss. I can PM you some detailed pics of mine if you like

Please.

Sound the like Corsa B one is better to use...

phunkynova
18-04-13, 06:15 PM
I've Just got Rich's EPAS setup today I will have a look at fitting it this weekend.
Anybody know how to wire one up ?.
Any tips on fitting one into a Nova (lhd).

mowgli
18-04-13, 07:12 PM
does this help?? lifted from an astra forum...

Wiring is only 7 wires;

Permanent live - thick red via a 50amp fuse
Switched live via a 10amp fuse
earth - brown
rev counter signal - green
speed signal - blue/red

These 2 are optional:

dash warning light - black/green
diagnostic plug - brown/white

you need a speed sensor on the gearbox, but that's a mk2/corsa sort of thing so not exactly in my area of knowledge

phunkynova
18-04-13, 07:52 PM
Well those are the colour wire I have,
I hope it works !
Thanks Mogli

mowgli
18-04-13, 07:57 PM
no worries