PDA

View Full Version : best prevention when being stored for a lonng time

marc69
24-03-13, 10:45 PM
My (somewhat rough looking) sport replica will be going for long term storage in my dad's garage for at least 5 years. Once there I will not be able to access it as he will have loads of his rubbish all around it etc.

For storing it to prevent as much damage as possible

1 put it wheels that I know the tyres will be wrecked (probably the alllsessios)
2 High antifreeze mix, right through the engine
3 Obviously no handbrake etc
4 OIl/grease in sills and other cavities

However...for underside protection, I was thinking of just putting a thick layer of grease over everything, this will stop oxygen from getting in and should last for years if not exposed to any weather etc?

Opinions/advice welcome please.

L14MNP
24-03-13, 10:52 PM
This method seems to be time proven.

http://www.blog.speculist.com/archives/buried_dmc.jpg

millworm
24-03-13, 10:53 PM
do an oil change too, and put some decent fuel in it as it should take longer to go bad

conza123
24-03-13, 11:01 PM
do an oil change too, and put some decent fuel in it as it should take longer to go bad

i would have as emptyer tank as poss so when you go to start it in the future you can fill the tank with fresh

Nova_Tek
24-03-13, 11:02 PM
Raise it off the ground so tyres do not get flat spots seeing as it won't be moving at all. Give it a good clean inside and out and maybe a wax before going in to add some protection. Get a breathable lined car cover. Maybe a coat of lubricant like wd40 on rubber areas to keeop rubber supple.

Novasport
24-03-13, 11:16 PM
I would remove the spark plugs and oil the bores to stop the engine seizing.
Put moisture traps inside the car and wipe steering wheel etc with an anti-bacterial cleaner to stop damp & mould.
Spray WD40 over engine etc.

L14MNP
24-03-13, 11:46 PM
i would have as emptyer tank as poss so when you go to start it in the future you can fill the tank with fresh

Definitley this, as far as fuel is concerned.

When the jetski lads 'winterize', a lot of them brim the tank and add fuel stabiliser.
I opted to empty mine.

We liberally coat the engine in WD40 too.

I think the most important thing is to remove the plugs and oil the bores as suggested, coat everything in oil too. Five years is a very long time to lay a car up and expect it to work when you return.

Duck oil is meant to be great (mostly for chrome though possibly).

Definitley put it on axle stands too.

brainsnova
25-03-13, 01:08 AM
Emptying a metal fuel tank might cause it to rust inside over 5 year

kent14sr
25-03-13, 07:47 AM
^^ This - dont empty the fuel tank if you are storing it for any length of time, replacing gone off fuel is simple compared to replacing a rotten tank.

Paul
25-03-13, 08:08 AM
May aswell just scrap it now. Going to be fcuked if left untouched for 5 years!

mowgli
25-03-13, 11:40 AM
a lot of farmers drain the coolant out of combine harvesters when they park them up.. you will need to replace the cambelt, tstat & water pump when you recommision it, so you may as well.

i believe there is a special oil for putting into an engine to lay it up for any period of time, but i've never used it..

they usually recommend removing battery & plugs.

meritlover
25-03-13, 04:11 PM
drain all coolant + flush with water so the scale+sediment doesnt solidify. Dont over over concentrate as it turns acidic over time anyway and this will compound the problem.
fill cylinders with oil and re-fit plugs
remove battery,
force the brake pads+pistons right back into the calipers as far as they will go.
release the handbrake adjuster and force back the pistons in the cylinders.
consider changing the brake fluid before hand.
depending on how dry and how much free air is in the garage will dictate what protective measures to take.
seal it in a container with an N2 purge.
leave windows open a crack on both sides to let air circulate.
lube all door locks.
leave poison on carpet for mices. (not required if N2 purge used)

therealnovaboy
25-03-13, 04:26 PM
I would also drain the bowl of the carb, or take off the carb an put it in under your bed.

N2 purge is a must :roll:

meritlover
25-03-13, 04:32 PM
no rust will form where there is no oxygen hence N2 purged enclosure.

i would probably take the carb to bed with me as well.

therealnovaboy
25-03-13, 04:46 PM
no rust will form where there is no oxygen hence N2 purged enclosure.

it would also be an effective anti crook device.

L14MNP
25-03-13, 05:14 PM
it would also be an effective anti crook device.

So is burying it in a barn, surrounded by ****.

Seriously though, as Paul says, this car is going to be ****ed if left to stand for five years.
To what degree though, noone can say.

therealnovaboy
25-03-13, 05:28 PM
Seriously though, as Paul says, this car is going to be ****ed if left to stand for five years.

I disagree. with the right precautions it will be fine. it will be in a much better condition than a car that has been driven for 5 years. At most you will need to spend £100 on bushes and ball joints.The shell will be fine if it is kept dry and waxoiled before putting away. The engine will be fine provided its well oiled.

Spudly
25-03-13, 06:47 PM
I disagree. with the right precautions it will be fine. it will be in a much better condition than a car that has been driven for 5 years.

See that i cant agree with, a car thats stood for a long period of time will get moisture and condensation build up inside panels and gaps like chassis legs and sills, this will pool and have nowhere to go except make its way down via rotting the metal below!

A car that is driven for five years (and obviously cleaned properly) will rid itself of any pooled water through the rigors of driving, a car that is standing for that length of time, cannot rid itself of water, and has a much higher risk of being rotten afterwards!

meritlover
25-03-13, 06:55 PM
surely by the 'right precautions' that involves keeping in a dry garage with circulating air and this would prevent moisture build up?

Alex J
25-03-13, 07:10 PM
May aswell just scrap it now. Going to be fcuked if left untouched for 5 years!this

Benn
25-03-13, 07:17 PM
I had this talk over fuel left in tanks with a mate.

If fuels left in it can rot the tank faster as they will be moisture in there too. Draining the tank will stop moisture getting in... So i'd drain it totally.

A few silicone rice beads to stop the insides getting wet and going mouldy...

Novasport
25-03-13, 08:49 PM
Sender units are easy to remove. Drain the tank and use it elsewhere so it does not go to waste. Let the fuel vapour evaporate for a while then get a couple of large silica gel packs popped in there and tape up the hole. Attach a wire to the bags to stop them falling in.
Bit OTT but should work.

EwanG
25-03-13, 09:05 PM
Get yourself a carcoon. I might get one for next winter. They are very cheap to run. Check them out http://www.carcoon.com/

Calamity Josh
25-03-13, 09:06 PM
surely how it's standing after the five yeard depends on if the workshop is heated, and de humidified

paul james
25-03-13, 09:11 PM
I would have thought that the petrol and its fumes will keep the tank from rusting inside, after all petrol doesn't rot out a tank from normal use does it. I took off my Novas original tank, which had been left with some petrol in for at least a year, expecting from what I had previously heard for there to be rust inside and loads of bits of dirt floating around. However the tank was totally mint inside, the only rust was on the outside of the tank which had been exposed to the elements.

The only problems I've had from using a several year stood Nova is the fuel hoses leaking (the cotton braided rubber joining bits) and a fuel banjo going to the webers. So when you start a car after it being stood, quickly check all the fuel connections to ensure they aren't leaking.

marc69
25-03-13, 09:37 PM
May aswell just scrap it now. Going to be fcuked if left untouched for 5 years!

Myt mini cooper was stood for seven years, moved once during affter the first two years, s tehn was untouched for five years. I didn't do any preventative measures as I didn't expect it to lie that long. You'll see I mae a thread two years ago from when I dragged it back out and put it back on the road, some things needed fixing but it certainly isn't knackered, perhaps I was just lucky.Anyway, this Nova was for sale but for such a solid car, just got a few insult offers and loads of swap offers. So as it didn't sell, I am just going to store it. Whether it goes back on the road or just ends up as a spare shell, I don't know but, I am going to put soe effort into preserving it just incase.

therealnovaboy
25-03-13, 09:41 PM
then do what you did to our mini. job done.

marc69
25-03-13, 09:41 PM
Well although the car is still on the road, i started some preventative measures today.

stripped most of the minimal interior, grease at teh bbottom of dors, pumped inside the sills and along theinside seam of the rear arches and boot.

Then the real fun......greased the cross member and the whole underside, pumping a mixture of iol and grease inside the chasis legs and even grease the complete arches etc....

Didn't see a single spot of rust of weakness, it is such a strong shell as the last mot tester remarked upon (without prompting lol)

marc69
25-03-13, 09:43 PM
then do what you did to our mini. job done.

i did nothing and it was a bit of work getting it on the road and I was lucky that the engine hadn't seized or anything major went on it, probably partly to do with it only having 37K at the time

Nova_Tek
26-03-13, 06:04 PM
So is burying it in a barn, surrounded by ****.

Not really mate, my dad back in the early 2000's left my Nova out in the cold, uncovered, with no precautions for approx 3-4 years then it was pushed into a garage for another 2. Apart from perished fuel hoses it started up. After a few runs it obviously needed water pump, timing belt, alternator belt, cv boots and a good clean but rust was actually minimal.

Nova_Tek
26-03-13, 06:05 PM
See that i cant agree with, a car thats stood for a long period of time will get moisture and condensation build up inside panels and gaps like chassis legs and sills, this will pool and have nowhere to go except make its way down via rotting the metal below!

A car that is driven for five years (and obviously cleaned properly) will rid itself of any pooled water through the rigors of driving, a car that is standing for that length of time, cannot rid itself of water, and has a much higher risk of being rotten afterwards!

"A rolling stone gathers no moss" in other words.

jimbob-mcgrew
26-03-13, 08:02 PM
submerge the whole car into a vat of grease lol

jimbob-mcgrew
26-03-13, 08:08 PM
use it or sell it I say

jimbob-mcgrew
26-03-13, 08:10 PM
in 5 years time petrol will have run out and we'll all have hover boards anyway lol

L14MNP
26-03-13, 08:31 PM
in 5 years time petrol will have run out and we'll all have hover boards anyway lol

Only two years according to Doc Brown! lol

Spudly
26-03-13, 08:46 PM
in 5 years time petrol will have run out and we'll all be ferral and racing each other down/killing for a tank of juice.......

Edited for accuracy lol

L14MNP
26-03-13, 09:11 PM
It kills me that I have 60 litres of V Power that is tainted with two-stroke oil, just sitting in the garage.

It's a good job I don't drive a petrol car, otherwise it would have been in there by now! lol

Spudly
26-03-13, 09:21 PM
Isnt that for your ski though, or just bang it through the 'scort, that will swallow it right lol

L14MNP
26-03-13, 09:26 PM
Isnt that for your ski though, or just bang it through the 'scort, that will swallow it right lol

It is, yeah. It's 'winterized' though, so it will be well knackered by the time I come to use it. At least it started off as a high octane I suppose lol
I may end up running it still, but it will be in a 10/1 type arrangement.

It will take forever.

How dare you! Nowt but the best for the Group A touring car man. lol

turbojolt
26-03-13, 09:27 PM
just sell it to me for 500 quid

L14MNP
26-03-13, 09:30 PM
just sell it to me for 500 quid

I wanna come back on here when its unearthed. lol

meritlover
26-03-13, 09:34 PM

I think I read somewhere that there is still some oil left.

L14MNP
26-03-13, 09:37 PM
I think I read somewhere that there is still some oil left.

I may have read the same article. It said that McDonalds car parks are a superb, untapped resource.
The leaking sump gaskets from XE engined boy racer Novas are said to have deposited many millions of gallons into the earth via the poorly layed tarmac.

craig green
26-03-13, 09:51 PM
Frost auto sell lo0ads of stuff for laid up vehicles.
If its laid up for a serious length of time, I would replace the cambelt before firing up again, rubber belts can perish, or have the teeth ripped off when called into action again.