PDA

View Full Version : LDV convoy vans

turbojolt
24-03-13, 05:40 PM
anyone had any experiences with these vans?

ive seen a cheap one on ebay £650 quid with 7 months mot and 1 months tax, looks like a right big fat ugly work horse lol

thanks guys

chrisd1986
24-03-13, 05:46 PM
get a transit, they are utter poo even tho they use transit engines everything else falls apart.

L14MNP
24-03-13, 05:47 PM
Used to drive those and the Pilot. Absolute **** heaps for 'modern' vans.

turbojolt
24-03-13, 05:59 PM
are they really that bad! i half expected some bad reviews, as if they were the best van ever they wouldnt be so cheap lol

staggy_gsi
24-03-13, 06:01 PM
What year is it? Could have the peugeot 1.9 engine in it, proper flat lol but tbf mechanically they arent too bad, i suppose...

Front axle king pins tend to wear and ive had three come in with cracked injector pipes.

brainsnova
24-03-13, 06:02 PM
You can get a mk6 transit for under a grand and are far superior to an ldv

turbojolt
24-03-13, 06:03 PM
its the 2.5 transit engined one

staggy_gsi
24-03-13, 06:05 PM
Id seriously go for a smiley transit. They are absolutely horrendous to drive lol

chrisd1986
24-03-13, 06:19 PM
Id seriously go for a smiley transit. They are absolutely horrendous to drive lol

snap, altho most of them are rusty they are good work horeses and comfy to drive

kent14sr
24-03-13, 06:21 PM
Awful vans. Prone to everything possible - rot, rust, door lock issues, they go through kingpins for breakfast and are just awful (did I say that already?!)

They basically 1970 Leyland Sherpa technology... and it wasnt great then because British Leyland were involved.

Buy a transit as others say!

Paul16v
24-03-13, 06:46 PM
get hi ace d4d .. fairly good on fuel and probably one of the most reliable vans about!

turbojolt
24-03-13, 06:53 PM
get hi ace d4d .. fairly good on fuel and probably one of the most reliable vans about!

there well out of my price range

kent14sr
24-03-13, 06:55 PM
TJ - you can get a nice smiley transit for £650. Watch for rot issues but otherwise bulletproof and parts are plentiful and cheap

chrisd1986
24-03-13, 07:00 PM
this would be better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-FORD-TRANSIT-80-SWB-BANANA-ENGINE-DIESEL-5-SEATER-LOADS-TAX-MOT-NO-PX-SWAPS-/400439301167?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item5d3c0ad42f

grooge
24-03-13, 08:16 PM
we used the ldv's in work for over 15 years and i dont think they are as bad as some folk are making out. the first had a peugeot engine and was pretty **** from what i remember, i was quite young at the time, the second had the transit engine and was a brilliant van. start stop driving driving doing deliverys all day and in 8 years it only missed a handful of shifts to have work done to it and the only time it ever let us down and couldnt finish the shift was when it puncture'd both wheels on the double rear axle. heater was **** in the winter mornings though. third van wasnt as good but still a solid workhorse that served its job. i have to say i hardly ever drove the vans though.

before the ldvs we used smiley transits and now we use a mk6 transit which is pretty **** in my opinion. new transits are **** in the snow compared to an ldv aswell lol

i'd still get a smiley transit over an ldv anyday though, just for the ldv was the better van for what we needed

Alex J
24-03-13, 08:22 PM
ldvs are the WORST vans EVER made, thats all you need to know, your better off walking, even when the "new" version came out, within a couple of weeks people round here were "loosing" them in the iron as they were utter tripe

Andy
24-03-13, 08:24 PM
Theres a 05 one round here that been restored already.Nuff said.

faker
24-03-13, 08:31 PM
The convoy isn't a bad yoke really. Per-smiley transit running gear with a steering box that you are constantly correcting, and they don't rot any more that a tranny.

chrisd1986
24-03-13, 08:33 PM
dose nobody remember the transit advert (back bone of britain) nuff said imo lol

Calamity Josh
24-03-13, 08:44 PM
personal experience, we had an ex army 51 convoy with 40k, it was a good van, so much cheaper than anything else with equivalent history/ miles/ condition, never once let us down, it's never going to be an amazingly comfy van, but will do the job :)

turbojolt
24-03-13, 09:02 PM
the thing that appeled to me was its only done 98k miles and with that mot and tax its a lot cheaper then the equliviant transit

i dont care how it drives as long as it starts in the morning and gets me where i need to go lol, i wouldnt be doing many miles in what ever van i get anyway

from pictures they look like they have a larger loading bay as well which can only be a good thing when it comes to a van!

staggy_gsi
24-03-13, 09:38 PM
Well at least it has the transit engine, the peugeot lump is dire!

Stuart
24-03-13, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't get a transit engined one as ford stopped the supply of ecu's so if on fails you are either a second hand effort or scrap the vehicle lol

Andy
24-03-13, 09:45 PM
Oh and another i know of chucked a rod through the block for no apparent reason
1st mot read "excessive corrosion to the prescribed area" lol lol lol

turbojolt
24-03-13, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't get a transit engined one as ford stopped the supply of ecu's so if on fails you are either a second hand effort or scrap the vehicle lol

how often do ecu's fail? lol

there are always a couple transits in the local scrap yard if that did ever happen

Stuart
24-03-13, 09:49 PM
how often do ecu's fail? lol

there are always a couple transits in the local scrap yard if that did ever happen

In ldv guise..... Quite often ;)
Iirc they need recoding and most places can't be arsed or don't have the right kit.

turbojolt
24-03-13, 09:53 PM
what makes them more prone to failing then, if i got one if there a way to help prevent it?

Stuart
24-03-13, 10:01 PM
Yep, easy way to prevent it.... Don't get one.
No idea what makes them fail early, but I imagine some less than great code was put in. I mean why would ford actively sell to another company an as good Powertrain as the one they put in their own vehicles.....

turbojolt
24-03-13, 10:06 PM
well its between this ldv and a swb hi top transit, the transit i cant really afford just yet and by the time i can its bound to be gone lol

Andy
24-03-13, 10:36 PM
theyre cheap for a reason.

L14MNP
24-03-13, 10:37 PM
Save for the/a smiley Di Tranny. The last thing you want is a work van that's gonna drop you in it.

wwmnw
24-03-13, 11:39 PM
I drove an 08 LDV lwb hi top maxus every day for work in my last job, no bother from it except the heater vents didnt work cept on the window and the alternator failed once. Was quicker than transits too got 95 out of it tops but transits either didnt want to or jusy couldnt keep up, was thirsty over 75 tho

L14MNP
24-03-13, 11:40 PM
i drove an 08 ldv lwb hi top maxus every day for work in my last job, no bother from it except the heater vents didnt work cept on the window and the alternator failed once. Was quicker than transits too got 95 out of it tops but transits either didnt want to or jusy couldnt keep up, was thirsty over 75 tho

who r u plz

turbojolt
24-03-13, 11:57 PM
I drove an 08 LDV lwb hi top maxus every day for work in my last job, no bother from it except the heater vents didnt work cept on the window and the alternator failed once. Was quicker than transits too got 95 out of it tops but transits either didnt want to or jusy couldnt keep up, was thirsty over 75 tho

thank you my friend, your thourghts and opinions will be of much use and stored proudly in a special spot on my fridge door *pat on the head*

L14MNP
25-03-13, 12:15 AM
thank you my friend, your thourghts and opinions will be of much use and stored proudly in a special spot on my fridge door *pat on the head*

He drove a pretty new one for work. Try owning one and you will see why they have a bad rep. lol

I used to try and break them by going for reverse at 60 mph. Hateful things.
Anything to drive a hired Sprinter instead! lol

turbojolt
25-03-13, 12:22 AM
yer i understand there not the best of vans im just looking for something to get me going but if there as **** as people say i might have to look else where or bid the guy down to 500 quid lol

Stuart
25-03-13, 09:25 AM

Most transits from MY07 on have speed limiters ranging from 50mph to about 80mph (and of course the unlimited ones but frankly its sodding scary over 90 lol )

mowgli
25-03-13, 11:24 AM
tj. a smiley transit is a good old piece of kit... the LDV was something like 30% cheaper when new compared to the ford. loads of local authorities bought them cos they were cheap.. they really are old fashioned noisy things compared to the ford, but its an old cheap van you are after, so if it is in decent condition & you like it, then buy it

wwmnw
25-03-13, 11:52 AM
who r u plz

I AM TEH BASSLINE FATHER!

Turbojolt, I assume they will be along side your drawings too :p

turbojolt
25-03-13, 11:55 AM
you love my drawings lol

turbojolt
25-03-13, 11:59 AM
nope - Nazi xxx

wwmnw