PDA

View Full Version : The worst part of your project??

Martin.p
24-03-13, 12:31 AM
whats the worst part of your project!?
at this point its standing with a heat gun scraping off rubbery under seal!
ive spent 10 hr of today enduring the mind numbing task! and I'm still not done :cry:
cant say I'm looking forward to the rubbing down part (if I can stay sane enough to get that far!

whats been/was/is the worst part of your project!

Dan Stanley
24-03-13, 12:34 AM
Starting it!!! I just look at my SR rotting away, knowing that I have an immaculate shell to swap it into, but I cant see me ever having the time to start it. So Ive just left it to rot for years whilst I cling to the hope of 'one day I'll do that'!!

Martin.p
24-03-13, 12:40 AM
lol.
keep clinging to that hope.
I am!
this car owes me a lot of fun for the misery its been so far. :)

turbojolt
24-03-13, 12:43 AM
starting it and currently fundig it

Hobbit
24-03-13, 12:51 AM
It constantly emptying my wallet. Well worth it when I drive it though.

burgo
24-03-13, 12:54 AM
Having the time to do it is the worst part. And acquiring new parts and wanting to see how they will fit but not being able to

Martin.p
24-03-13, 12:57 AM
Well worth it when I drive it though.

this is what I keep hanging on to as well!
I've not had a nova for 5 yr, then I got this one and drove it for 4-5 month befor striping it . Just want to get in the driving seat of a XE nova!

Martin.p
24-03-13, 01:02 AM
Having the time to do it is the worst part. And acquiring new parts and wanting to see how they will fit but not being able to

I can sympathies with that!
I'm hoping to get my calibra leathers tomorrow (not every ones taste I know) but I'm a million miles off fitting them! so no need TBH! But you cant turn away free seats and cards can ya! :)

peester
24-03-13, 05:01 AM
Crickey. Wouldnt know where to start. I guess for me; its been getting the car to that more smarter state/level of finish. After all the conversion/upgrades/repairs/etc - theres then loads more work where things arent actually broken; just could be better.
Hats off to those that do this. Im not one of them lol.

blue_peg_16v
24-03-13, 07:28 AM
Just looking at the bloody thing winds me up at the minute

Martin.p
24-03-13, 07:34 AM
Lol

raf24
24-03-13, 07:50 AM
Because mine was finished this time last year i have road tax,insurance & mot all in the same month roughly,so my credit card is getting a beating & i'll be eating stale bread & beans when i get my statement next month lol

maddogdaz666
24-03-13, 08:40 AM
Mine is definitely time and money, just read my signature \/ \/ \/

Novasport
24-03-13, 08:51 AM
Not having enough room to work on any of the Novas.

Benn
24-03-13, 08:54 AM
whats the worst part of your project!?
at this point its standing with a heat gun scraping off rubbery under seal!
ive spent 10 hr of today enduring the mind numbing task! and I'm still not done :cry:
cant say I'm looking forward to the rubbing down part (if I can stay sane enough to get that far!

whats been/was/is the worst part of your project!

Use a wire wheel on a grinder, would/will take half thr time!

All my shaft/cv probs. They been a nightmare and made me lose all confendence in the car.

thedjse
24-03-13, 09:00 AM
Moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! If i had the cash i would make the time and put the effort in but find it hard to do little jobs which dont cost much, knowing i cant afford the big bits

dc1984
24-03-13, 09:07 AM
Not paying someone else to fit the engine lol
It's been 3 or 4 years since I started it :(

paul james
24-03-13, 09:09 AM
The worst part of doing mine was removing all the horrible brush on underseal I had previously liberally applied. That stuff if a nightmare, you can't help but get covered in it and I must have spent more time getting rid of it than all the time I spent welding or probably anything else.

DAFTJOHN
24-03-13, 09:29 AM
Time! I'm crap at body work so need to rely on other companies doing the work....and they take time

Martin.p
24-03-13, 09:32 AM
Use a wire wheel on a grinder, would/will take half thr time!

I got one of them and turned it to a sticks mess and coverd me and everything in it.
Plus at half the time it's taken, that's a lot of grinding noise! Trying not to annoy neighbours as well :(

Moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! If i had the cash i would make the time and put the effort in but find it hard to do little jobs which dont cost much, knowing i cant afford the big bits

^^^^ this!!
If I hadn't bought my new engine when I had the money I don't think I could keep pushing myself along with it.

kevster
24-03-13, 09:43 AM
As some have already said money!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , times are hard at the mo

Benn
24-03-13, 09:53 AM
I got one of them and turned it to a sticks mess and coverd me and everything in it.
Plus at half the time it's taken, that's a lot of grinding noise! Trying not to annoy neighbours as well

It goes all stringy but just rubs off.. Then you just brush up. Grinders arnt that loud, in the middle of the day no one can get annyed either.. Early morning late night yes.

Plus its so much faster youll be done in no time...

Martin.p
24-03-13, 10:40 AM
It goes all stringy but just rubs off.. Then you just brush up. Grinders arnt that loud, in the middle of the day no one can get annyed either.. Early morning late night yes.

Plus its so much faster youll be done in no time...

Thanks...... I think!

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/284CE4C7-D7E8-4991-9CED-CF6157463233-1220-0000025E772F7C94.jpg

_Jake
24-03-13, 10:51 AM
Thanks...... I think!

Fcuk me was the grinder mounted on your head!! i used a wire wheel on my old mk2 when i seam welded the front end and i didnt get half as dirty as that!

EDIT: cant really say ive had a "worst part" to my mk1 yet, but i can see sourcing sensibly priced parts being hard over the next few years.

Pete
24-03-13, 11:00 AM
Worst part for me was not working on it the last few months as now ive lost motivation and just want rid of it... lol

Benn
24-03-13, 01:28 PM
Thanks...... I think!

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af46/martinstu/284CE4C7-D7E8-4991-9CED-CF6157463233-1220-0000025E772F7C94.jpg

Get a wheel one, not a cone one, you wont get anywhere near as covered. I only had a tiny bit on my jumper, but the floor was covered.

Jack
24-03-13, 01:30 PM
Worst part is probably the fact its taking up room in the garage when the GT4 should be in there lol

wwmnw
24-03-13, 04:07 PM
Having to sell it before I'd even fired it up :tears:

staggy_gsi
24-03-13, 04:22 PM
The worst part of my project is having all the ideas in my head, but no nova to apply them to lol

Buying a house has taken over my plans this year so far, but moving to a bigger unit before long so hopefully i can purchase another rotbox...

sport
24-03-13, 05:02 PM
The Sport....i dont want to even mention that lol

The Sprint....at least i can use that and do bits as i go along :)

To be fair having both on the go and life in general taking over doesnt help but there both tucked away so dont get in the road.

BRoadGhost
24-03-13, 05:37 PM
Seats not low enough on the rails
Rusty doors, wings & sils; lacquer coming off the bonnet
Fit of the wings, bonnet & tailgate
Harness lap straps non adjustable without removing the seat
Leaky sump
Split boot gaiter on a monthly basis
Jiggly headlights / flagging down planes
Fuel level indicator only on one side of the tank
No flat front floor
Broken offside mirror
Weeping fuel pressure regulator
Solid disks that should be on bells
Caliper brackets in need of strengthening
Rear view mirror not large / wide enough
Front spring rates too low, can't get top mounts off without damaging the struts & need shims fitting
Rear end 10MM to low
No locking diff
Broken auxiliary tachometer
Flow restriction to rear brakes / incorrect MS
No drag reducing rear spoiler

Martin.p
24-03-13, 05:40 PM
Mmmmm. Going well then. :D

mk1nova_rich
24-03-13, 06:08 PM
Not having one :(

Andy
24-03-13, 08:27 PM
the fact i have 2

Calamity Josh
24-03-13, 08:41 PM
polybushing the exhaust with no ramp and just a jack and single axle stand in the snow, really didn't go well, got half way through then had to pack up and drive home for tea, so it's now attached with lots of cable ties! lol

Mike
24-03-13, 08:59 PM
Paying for it. And the very first job of fabricating & attaching an aero under floor, front & rear inner archs, front & rear bulkheads & rear firewall to a space frame chassis. Not looking forward to that....

840 stainless steel rivets :cry:

grooge
24-03-13, 09:08 PM
finding motivation to go out in the cold instead of going to the pub
carb problem on my sr
engine blew up after a week on my diesel, bought a corsa to take the engine out of n ended up driving it for months!

mk1nova_rich
24-03-13, 09:15 PM
the fact i have 2

Ill take one lol

Andy
24-03-13, 09:16 PM
840 stainless steel rivets :cry:
You will have an arm like a w4nker lol

steg1970
25-03-13, 01:42 PM
When the shell came back from bead blasting and found it needed two new floors and both rear panels.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c319/stevo1970/Re-shell%20pics/DSC00278.jpg

All done now though.

bazil
25-03-13, 02:06 PM
the fact i have 2

The fact I have 5, aleast one if them works, untill I take it to bits lol

Worst thing for me was deciding to rebuild the silver one in 2004, still not started it yet :-/

nova_niek
27-03-13, 09:52 PM
Money. Or the lack of it. And having a double garage, stuffed with more gear than any sensible person should have, thus rendering all that lovely space useless. An over the top mortgage. And lots of other projects going on as well. Crap.

Oh today the girlfriend told me she wants rid of the Magirus-Deutz (1952 army truck converted to camper) because that needs lots of welding and whatnot. She could have said the same thing for the Nova's, but she didn't. Good for her.

From experience I know it's better to hang on to your gear and wait for better times, than to get rid of it and regret it ever after. So the old camper isn't going. So there. :thumb:

Benn
28-03-13, 06:04 PM
Niek, do you still want my sun roof cassette?

bazzap8389
28-03-13, 07:00 PM
Worst part for me is the rust! If it wasn't such a rot box I'd have it done this year but hey ho