PDA

View Full Version : Anybody lengthened a c20let/c20xe wiring loom?

TWAG
22-03-13, 07:56 PM
I'm looking to lengthen my c20let wiring loom.

I'm sick of the ecu sitting on the shelf under the dash, I've made a ecu mount that sits behind the dash on the passenger side so need to lengthen the loom.

Has anyone else done this?

I'm pretty experienced with soldering and wiring so that won't be an issue.

Spudly
22-03-13, 08:07 PM
Could you not just mount it up behind the dash on the drivers side under the clocks?

This is what ive done with mine and it gets it out of the way and stops the unsightly 'thrown in' look you get when its on the shelf!

TWAG
22-03-13, 08:27 PM
I could do but it's all a bit cramped under there.

The passenger side is where the original 1.2 ecu sat.

Jeff16v
22-03-13, 09:23 PM
Can you make a an extension loom just for indies the car using large huge multi-plugs, did the Astra have large round under bonnet plugs?. If you chop the loom but leave the ECU plug with a good length wire you only need to make a dash length extension piece with multiplugs at each end.

Shall I also begin the debate about twisting wires rather than soldering!

Mieran
22-03-13, 09:50 PM
Would it not be easier to locate ecu where you want and extend the bits on engine side?

As for injector bit you can probably convert that to separate plugs for each injector like the 1.6 16v

chrisd1986
23-03-13, 12:58 PM
ive been debating this when i do my conversion as i dont fancy looking at this isor everytime i get in the car i was gona mount it behi g the glove box and bring the loom out of the bulkhead bebind the inlet mani

Spudly
23-03-13, 02:02 PM
Shall I also begin the debate about twisting wires rather than soldering!

Zomg, you can do that, it will make a nice strong flexible join, but everyone will tell you off about it :eek:

chrisd1986
23-03-13, 02:11 PM
Zomg, you can do that, it will make a nice strong flexible join, but everyone will tell you off about it :eek:

do both and then no one can slate it and the shrink wrap it

Alex J
23-03-13, 03:19 PM
just cut it and use a millon cheese blocks lol

chrisd1986
23-03-13, 04:02 PM
just cut it and use a millon cheese blocks lol

now thats how you do a propper job lol

TWAG
23-03-13, 05:13 PM
Not sure what this twisting wires debate is all about. Ill be soldering and covering in heatshrink.

Think I'm going to try and get hold of another LET Loom to use for the extra wire.

Graeme
23-03-13, 05:30 PM
What's wrong with just putting it in a carrier bag next to the battery? Saves drilling the bulkhead as well