PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry

PE4
22-08-03, 05:09 PM
Today when I was driving back from work my header tank grew a slit, so water pissed out all over the place :( When I popped the bonnet I had a nice little fountain thing going on, so I opened the header tank to release the pressure....I noticed that the water inside was now looking like a rusty bowl of sludge????? Why is this? Is this a bad thing or has the engine just flushed a load of muck around? Can it be cleared?

I had just driven the car hard for about 5 miles, after 30 miles of motorway cruising.

Cheers

Steve

Dave
22-08-03, 05:45 PM
sounds like crap from the rad, what sort of condition is it in?
you've got to drain your cooling system anyway when you get a new header tank so give it a good flush through an see what comes out

mikeoxford
23-08-03, 11:16 AM
get engine hot to open the stat up in the head so the rad is in function.

attach garden hose to top of rad or small pipe on coolant bottle if you can.

take at the temp sensor on the inlet manifold, turn tap on.

let all the shit come out

Aragorn
24-08-03, 12:10 AM
if u wanna save the engine u should remove the stat while flushing rather than doing mikes dodgy approach :|

mikeoxford
24-08-03, 12:12 AM
gggggrrrr :evil: twat leave the water in - stop being so picky

Neil.
24-08-03, 02:22 AM
mike did mine that way and mines ok, altho he did use prick stick to seal the head gasket :?

ade
24-08-03, 11:06 AM
altho he did use prick stick to seal the head gasket

whats that then? :lol:

Think you mean pritt stick! But on her head!?!?

:o

This a new gasket seal or summut

mikeoxford
24-08-03, 10:51 PM
altho he did use prick stick to seal the head gasket

whats that then? :lol:

Think you mean pritt stick! But on her head!?!?

:o

This a new gasket seal or summut

PMSL hes just making a joke ;)

aragorn sorry to have a madden last night. just everything i said on MSN you argued against it!

what i was trying to say is if you get the water to flow the right way round, and get the stat nice and warm by idling the engine for a while previously.

when you flush it with water it takes a while for stat to close, espically if water is going backwards through the stat. so it closes slower. hence the stat remains open long enough to flush water

sorry for avin a go

and neil mate - dont be worried about the prit stick id be more concerned about the tipp exx i used for seam sealer :wink: