PDA

View Full Version : Difference in GTE/GSi dash clocks.

Leeboo
18-03-13, 09:50 PM
Did all Nova gte's come with the 6-dial black dash clocks? And did all gsi's have the same dash clocks, except with the two battery and oil pressure slots as lights instead of needles as per gte?

Or did the two different types overlap anywhere on the two models. As I am aware the plugs are different between MK1 and MK2.

Thanks in advance.

millworm
18-03-13, 09:54 PM
mk2 clocks have tabs on them that stick out to fix them in, mk1 clocks don't

marc69
18-03-13, 09:55 PM
I thought the clocks were the same, just the styling as mk2 instead of mk1.

The ones that were changed (cheapened) were the SR clocks, changed to lights instead of gauges for iol pressure and voltage.

And as said above, the fitting etc is different

Leeboo
19-03-13, 05:28 PM
Double post

Leeboo
19-03-13, 05:30 PM
Cheers for replies! Hmm, I'm sure there was the two different types as I did have the black dash clocks with lights for batt/oil n my old mk2 Nova. I understand those to be from a GSi. But any GTE I've seen has the needles for batt/oil instead. Styling is the same otherwise. Wondering did the two types of clocks overlap between models as I don't want to end up with the wrong ones for my 1988 GTE.

Anyone else shed light on this?

marc69
19-03-13, 05:35 PM
GTE have the oil and volt gauges.

kent14sr
19-03-13, 05:38 PM
As above, and you can identify GTE clocks aside from SR 6 dial clocks as they have a low fuel warning light

Leeboo
19-03-13, 05:43 PM
Yes. Basically wondering though did any late GTE's come with the lights or did any early GSi's come with the gauges. In which case I could end up with the wrong plug/fitment.

I guess they probably didn't overlap though.

Leeboo
19-03-13, 05:44 PM
As above, and you can identify GTE clocks aside from SR 6 dial clocks as they have a low fuel warning light

Thanks will keep that in mind!

_Jake
19-03-13, 06:16 PM
i have some gsi clocks in my shed and they have needles rather than lights, cant comment on GTE items though as im using sport ones in my mk1.

marc69
19-03-13, 06:16 PM

My SR has the low fuel warning light and I think all SRs post 87 did till the mk2

marc69
19-03-13, 06:17 PM
Yes. Basically wondering though did any late GTE's come with the lights or did any early GSi's come with the gauges. In which case I could end up with the wrong plug/fitment.

I guess they probably didn't overlap though.

All GTEs had gauges.

Spudly
19-03-13, 06:50 PM
All GTE's and GSi clocks have six dials, 'some' SRi's also had six dial clocks but it was rare as it was an expensive option!

Mk1 SR's had six dial clocks, mk2 SR/SRi's as standard didnt (unless opted at purchase on the SRi) :thumb:

Also the plug is two pins smaller on the mk1 clockset, a mk2 plug wont fit, and vice versa!

Leeboo
19-03-13, 07:19 PM
Marc69 - great. And do you know if all GSi's had the lights for batt/oil? None came with gauges like the gte?

Spudly, the Gte had 6 dials yes but the gsi had two of these replaced with warning lights for batt/oil if I'm right.

Spudly
19-03-13, 07:46 PM
Spudly, the Gte had 6 dials yes but the gsi had two of these replaced with warning lights for batt/oil if I'm right.

Nope, if they had the lights instead of the guages, then they would be four dial clocks, GSi was pretty much the same spec as the GTE, just facelifted, they had six dial clocks :thumb:

GSi clocks..

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/jam0666/016-1.jpg

GTE clocks..

http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/sr_clocks.jpg

Leeboo
19-03-13, 08:07 PM
Ah, those pictures have made it much clearer to me thanks, I never noticed the facelift on the GSi clocks! So what Nova came with the same clocks as the gsi (top pic), except with the lights for batt/oil instead of gauges? As thats what i had in my old mk2 nova. I thought maybe SR but didn't all mk2 SR's have the white bits on the dials.

Spudly
19-03-13, 08:11 PM
Aye, all SR/SRi's on a mk2 had big white rings on their clocks, tbh ive never seen GSi type clocks without the oil and battery guages before now, granted ive only seen a few h'actual GSi's but all the ones i have, have had six dial clocks as factory fit!

Leeboo
19-03-13, 08:15 PM
Hmmm. Bit of a mystery lol. If I find a pic of the ones I had I'll throw it up. Anyways cheers for the replies everyone - pretty clear on what I need now.

Dan Stanley
19-03-13, 09:01 PM
and if you want to be really flash, you can transfer the 'white' speedo and rev counter from a mk2 SR into the GSI's instrument panel. Thus giving you white dialled 6 gauge dash.

Spudly
19-03-13, 09:37 PM
and if you want to be really flash, you can transfer the 'white' speedo and rev counter from a mk2 SR into the GSI's instrument panel. Thus giving you white dialled 6 gauge dash.

Or find the very rare ones that came like that as a factory option on the SRi :thumb:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g191/vaughanmc/New%20Nova/Mk1NovaWIP446.jpg

*EDIT*

On closer inspection via google, it seems those pictured are vaughans, and theyre a homebrew set, but they look exactly as the six dial SRi ones did/do, i know they exist(ed) as my mate had a black SRi years back, K474LHW (god thats quite sad i remember the reg lol) and it had the six dial clocks and door and quarter cappings aswell, he bought it from an old lady so i doubt she had been changing interior panels and swapping her clocks about lol

marc69
19-03-13, 10:23 PM
Marc69 - great. And do you know if all GSi's had the lights for batt/oil? None came with gauges like the gte?

As spudly said, all GSi had the same clocks. Diesel Novas and some early Antibes and other specials had the 4 clocks (the ones woth the lights for batt etc) It may be that some variants or specials in mk2 guise came with these.