PDA

View Full Version : sloppy gear stick

NOVA BUF
18-03-13, 05:24 PM
from what I can tell it seems to be selecting gears but the gearstick doesn't actually pop into a gear. it moves on the clutch but the nova hasn't been driven with this gearbox in it, and cant be yet. but it feels like if I did drive it the gearstick wouldn't stay in position because like I said it doesn't actually pop into gear.

also I cant select 5th, this maybe because it is a 4speed but i'm pretty sure it was a 5speed before I put it in.

Dan Stanley
18-03-13, 07:39 PM
Have you followed the Haynes manual guide of how to line up the gear linkage?
If your car was originally a 4 speed and now you've put a 5 speed box into it, then you'll have trouble with the gear selector. If you lift up the gear gaitor you can see the white nylon (plastic) part that hits the side of the tunnel when you go left to right. The 4 speed selector has a lump on the left hand side that'll need cutting back so that you can have more width to select the extra gear.

jonnyd61
19-03-13, 08:56 AM
mines sloppy wen im in a gear the stick moves side to side like its in neutral bt still in gear (very sloppy) how can i resolve this ???? its a f18 box

GRUNT 16V
19-03-13, 10:37 AM
change the gear linkage or rose joint it !!

jimbob-mcgrew
19-03-13, 01:43 PM
sounds like the linkage wants adjusting to accomodate for the new box.
do you know what box it is ? F10 ?
you can cut that plastic stop block off that dan was talking about, with the blade from a hacksaw.

where abouts in london are you mate ?

NOVA BUF
19-03-13, 10:20 PM
it was a 4 speed, ill lift the gator and look at the clip tomorrow im south east, bromely/ Near croydon