PDA

View Full Version : Setting camber?

Nobby
16-03-13, 08:24 PM
Hi chaps i bought some camber bolts for my V6 off egay and tried to set them to 0 degrees today ready for next weeks drag meeting. However we were using a oldskool camber gauge and not sure if its accurate as the lowest we could get it was 1degree, has anyone else set up camber for 1/4mile? Im going to have anither crack at work next week, also iv set the tracking so do i setup the camber first then do the tracking or vice versa? I havent done any elongating to the strut holes do i need to? Any help tips advice appreciated

mowgli
16-03-13, 08:32 PM
if you want zero camber, couldn't you use a spirit level?

phunkynova
16-03-13, 08:36 PM
Maybe for drag racing they might work but on my rally car they would move all the time putting the camber and the tracking out they are now in the bin !.

marc69
16-03-13, 08:42 PM
i bought the gunson camber setting tool (basically a spirit level). It worked a treat, the struts are elongated to 1 degree negative camber and then tightened will washers etc, I don't know if just camber nuts will hold well enough?.

My set up works fine but, if you change the camber or tracking they all affect each other so measure once you set each one. I set my camber first, then the tracking, then rechecked the Camber.

Having this set correctly made a huge difference to traction on straight acceleration aswell as handling on corners.

faker
16-03-13, 08:44 PM
I only ever use a spirit level. Never had any issues.

Nobby
16-03-13, 08:44 PM
Ye phunky it was totally weird next to nothing of a tyrn and it would change from -1degree to +2 i was using tge top hole not the bottom one though?

Nobby
16-03-13, 08:47 PM
i bought the gunson camber setting tool (basically a spirit level). It worked a treat, the struts are elongated to 1 degree negative camber and then tightened will washers etc, I don't know if just camber nuts will hold well enough?.

My set up works fine but, if you change the camber or tracking they all affect each other so measure once you set each one. I set my camber first, then the tracking, then rechecked the Camber.

Having this set correctly made a huge difference to traction on straight acceleration aswell as handling on corners.

Ye mate iv read to set it slightly negative so when you accelerate it drops to 0degrees? Or lift body up then then set it to 0degrees?

marc69
16-03-13, 08:52 PM
Ye mate iv read to set it slightly negative so when you accelerate it drops to 0degrees? Or lift body up then then set it to 0degrees?

I set mine more for cornering on the track, a lot of guys go to 1.5 degrees negative as it sits on the road but as the struts I had were already set at 1 degree, I stuck to that. It made a huge difference, heavy steering at low speeds but with better grip, this also affected straight acceleration.

marc69
16-03-13, 08:54 PM
Ye phunky it was totally weird next to nothing of a tyrn and it would change from -1degree to +2 i was using tge top hole not the bottom one though?
I had this at frst because i was using the gauge the wrong way (seriously lol)

Gunson have a video on how to set it but, I also got great advice frm Iain.

phunkynova
16-03-13, 08:55 PM
Sorry Marc69 you can not set camber that will give you max straight acceleration aswell as handling on corners as if you tilt the tyres on it's side so that it gives you grip in the corner as it roll's on to it you will lose on contact surface for acceleration and breaking

Nobby
16-03-13, 08:55 PM
What does it look like the thing we used was like a tripod ?

phunkynova
16-03-13, 09:09 PM
I must admit that I use to set my own tracking and camber but I found that the local Czech Halfords type place could do it far better than me. My tip of the day let some one who knows what they are doing do it.

Nobby
16-03-13, 09:20 PM
We have all singing dancing 4wheel alignment at my work lol just cant get time to get on it

phunkynova
16-03-13, 09:40 PM
I don't know much about drag racing setup but I would think you would need a 0 to 0.5 pos camber setting and a 0 degree front tracking. Ask your fellow front wheel drive competitors what they have for settings or will they just BullSh*t you.

Nobby
16-03-13, 09:45 PM
Yeah reading off some yank forums mate they set it to 0 degrees at the front my rears are fixed though

phunkynova
16-03-13, 09:55 PM
The rears can be adjusted by using washers between the stub hub and the axle but for a Drag car the lease rolling resistance would be best so straight forward.