PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever made a nova into a mile muncher

turbojolt
16-03-13, 05:01 PM
as the title says has anyone ever made a nova in to a bit of a rep mobile, im thinking

v6 engine
leather (flocking where leather wouldnt work)
extensive sound deading (including filling pillars with foam)
and adding a few toys like a nice quality sound system (not cheap that to make your spine shake etc..), remote central locking and some other mod cons

i know choosing a nova for this kinda project is a bit of a up heal battle so just wondering if someone has done it before, was thinking a 4 door loon would be ideal aswell as you c an get people in easy etc

would still have to look retro or whats the point :tard:

burgo
16-03-13, 05:09 PM
Jacks saloon was a mile muncher

Stuart
16-03-13, 05:14 PM
Just buy a Carlton.

turbojolt
16-03-13, 05:14 PM
really what kinda suspension was he running? as you dont want anything to jar breaking, im only think of it as i often do 250-300 mile round trips to go see family

turbojolt
16-03-13, 05:15 PM
Just buy a Carlton.

would rather a bmw lol

burgo
16-03-13, 05:18 PM
Just some random -60 springs I think and balloon tyres

Keif
16-03-13, 05:20 PM
would rather a bmw lol

Depends which Carlton

Lotus

Stuart
16-03-13, 05:24 PM
IMHO a mile muncher nova would be:

1.9 cdti 150 or the 170 2.0, maybe an auto box.
Bilsten yellow big piston dampers and new oem springs.
Oem rubber bushes.
15" rims with some good, and I mean good tyres.
Sound deadening all over
A dab head unit with iPod/USB abilities. Reasonable amp and speaker setup (maybe a 15 speaker setup with microphone feedback into the dsp for ace sound.
Recaros from the evora/focus rs etc.
Foam the life out of the rear of the dash to stop rattles lol

novalew
16-03-13, 05:32 PM
IMHO a mile muncher nova would be:

1.9 cdti 150 or the 170 2.0, maybe an auto box.
Bilsten yellow big piston dampers and new oem springs.
Oem rubber bushes.
15" rims with some good, and I mean good tyres.
Sound deadening all over
A dab head unit with iPod/USB abilities. Reasonable amp and speaker setup (maybe a 15 speaker setup with microphone feedback into the dsp for ace sound.
Recaros from the evora/focus rs etc.
Foam the life out of the rear of the dash to stop rattles lol

basically not a nova lol

Stuart
16-03-13, 05:40 PM
basically not a nova lol

Bingo lol

turbojolt
16-03-13, 05:41 PM
Depends which Carlton

Lotus

there is that, but arnt you lotus carlton boys scared of putting stupid miles on them and reducing the value

Keif
16-03-13, 05:52 PM
Urm, mine has nearly 120000 miles on the clock.

Very little difference value wise on "high" mileage ones to low mileage ones.

It's just sellers put "it's only done 15000 miles", not "it's hardly gone anywhere, so the brakes are seized and the brake and fuel lines are perished"

Jack
16-03-13, 06:39 PM
As Burgo said, mine was built as a mile muncher. Had spax RSX coilovers with the fronts set fairly hard, 40mm springs on the rear. The tyres provided decent comfort though.

It was good for sitting on the motorway, but if I was using it every day on the motorway to do mega miles I'd probably want more sound proofing, a slightly better interior and possibly and extra gear. But then it was never going to be that kinda car.

mowgli
16-03-13, 08:24 PM
tj.. how about a 1.7 isuzu td conversion with tons of sound deadening pads.... then throw in a cally interior..

turbojolt
16-03-13, 09:12 PM
i like the idea of a big v6 (i know its not going to be the best fuel wise) as there use to be a guy that live close with a vr6 golf and it made such a epic noise, even when just cruising past, when he went for it it made such a loverly burbling growl i fell in love

Royston
16-03-13, 09:21 PM
Long distances in a Nova ......No

I use this miles of smiles:d
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/1297cc/DSCF4116-1.jpg

Covered over 650 miles in one day, no sweat, a pleasure even;)

turbojolt
16-03-13, 10:12 PM
people only seemed to think my nova was worth 200 quid (and it proberly is only worth that, i dont know), i would rather keep hold of it and build it into a cruiser even if it takes a fair few years for it to become what i want, then let it go for peanuts

ocdstigy
16-03-13, 11:02 PM
excuse the ignorance.....what is a mile muncher lol??

turbojolt
16-03-13, 11:07 PM
excuse the ignorance.....what is a mile muncher lol??

something that chews up the miles in its stride, some thing you wouldnt mid driving for 500+ miles a go

ocdstigy
16-03-13, 11:13 PM
something that chews up the miles in its stride, some thing you wouldnt mid driving for 500+ miles a go

Not a nova then lol

turbojolt
16-03-13, 11:33 PM
well no lol, but then again a nova wasnt ever ment to be honed around a track at worp speed or have a massive turbo engine fitted etc..... so if its been transormend into a road warrrior fire breathing beast!!!!! whats stoping someone making it a quite 6spd cruiser ?

paul james
16-03-13, 11:45 PM
Better off buying something thats a nice motorway cruiser as standard. I've done epic 10-12 hour drives in my Nova, so its doable but you do notice the difference in comfort level when your doing that kind of distance. My Celica is comfy, has nice speakers as standard, and I don't mind sticking loads of miles on it either, since I have that car my Nova can be noisey, have sporty suspension and other fun things that would be less fun on long voyages. If all you mean by motorway cruising is the occasional couple of hour drive, then I'd say man up and don't worry about sound deadening and the like!

Stuart
17-03-13, 08:58 AM
Omegas are worth about 50p these days as are mk4 Astras... Just buy one of those with cash you'd spend on making a nova less horrid lol

Dan Stanley
17-03-13, 09:42 AM
well no lol, but then again a nova wasnt ever ment to be honed around a track at worp speed or have a massive turbo engine fitted etc..... so if its been transormend into a road warrrior fire breathing beast!!!!! whats stoping someone making it a quite 6spd cruiser ?

^^^That is a very good point. It's worth a try if thats what you want to do. As with anything, you could always buy something better if you were thinking sensibly, but a lot of people want a challenge and like the idea of creating something individual.

turbojolt
17-03-13, 09:55 AM
Omegas are worth about 50p these days as are mk4 Astras... Just buy one of those with cash you'd spend on making a nova less horrid lol

your gay, stop being gay, gaylord, queen, queer, fag

gay.

Stuart
17-03-13, 11:14 AM
your gay, stop being gay, gaylord, queen, queer, fag

gay.

As much as your advances are clear, I'm actually not into guys, sorry.

Benn
17-03-13, 11:29 AM
No clue why you'd wanna v6 it.

My let with 6 speed will do 350miles plus if it's all on motorway driving... But if i was gonna do it, i'd look at a new style derv, the 1.7tdi will do 400miles to a good sized tank..

Stuart
17-03-13, 12:03 PM
My bad maths suggested a cdti150 in a vx220 should do about 60mpg, which would be similar in a nova IMHO. Just a shame you can't tax it on the emissions lol

Benn
17-03-13, 12:12 PM
Which is how i think Tax should be worked out. On the emissions report from the mot.

Stuart
17-03-13, 12:16 PM
Not a fair test though as anyone can make a lean run idle/unloaded rev lol

Benn
17-03-13, 01:25 PM
Truer, i had thought of fixing it... And like it's fair now... Mine isn't that bad as i have no car, yet i pay the same as a Cav with a cat pays...

MK999
17-03-13, 01:40 PM
Not a fair test though as anyone can make a lean run idle/unloaded rev lol

Shhhhh, trying to lose us money here? lol

and on the mile muncher thing I've done 8hours+ in a day with a Nova with no sound deadening/carpets, 2 bucket seats and an Ashley exhaust. I don't see everyone's issue lol

Just make sure the buckets are comfortable for you, rather than breaking your back :p

Jack
17-03-13, 02:07 PM
Because understeer is for heroes, thats why lol

novalew
17-03-13, 04:02 PM

+rep

SRimon
18-03-13, 09:40 PM

My let with 6 speed will do 350miles plus if it's all on motorway driving... But if i was gonna do it, i'd look at a new style derv, the 1.7tdi will do 400miles to a good sized tank..

VX diesels for some reason are crap on fuel compared to their French and German rivals.

Had a CDTI new Astra the other day that struggled to get 50mpg on a motorway run. Also had a Passat CC recently that did 65 that was a much bigger car.

As for a Nova cruiser, you'd need to be looking at a diesel to make sense. No Nova will ever be modern day quiet really.

Benn
18-03-13, 10:03 PM
True, Vag do make very good mpg derv cars/engine. But my dads Insigna 1.9turbo derv (one down from the full power one) has a 70lt (iirc) tank and will do 650miles plus on motorway driving.

Connor
18-03-13, 10:08 PM
My old 1.2 4 speed was a mile mucher, did over 12k in under 6 months in that bad boy, loved the motorways lol :wtf: .
Buy a 6 speed vag, my old gt tdi golf loved the milage.

Hobbit
18-03-13, 10:17 PM

Or learn to drive it properly... :p

jimbob-mcgrew
19-03-13, 01:34 AM
It's just sellers put "it's only done 15000 miles", not "it's hardly gone anywhere, so the brakes are seized and the brake and fuel lines are perished"

^ too true mate. yours is bloody nice by the way, i saw your thread the other day :)

TJ - i was thinking 2.0 8v with a long ratio box in, long ratio diff to go with, dynamat the whole interior, and sling the stereo, as you'll need concentration to drive at 140

^ that wouldnt cost too much and it would be a quiet little bullet, aerodynamics aint so hot, so you might get blown about a bit at that speed. would be a beast tho

slightly goes against the whole theme behind the nova tho. with their short wheel bases and light weight, there designed to be lobbed around sharp turns at lowish speed

i'd love to see you do it tho, long ass gearbox and super sound deading :)