PDA

View Full Version : Sump gasket leak fix - gsi - what a mission!

b943weg
15-03-13, 10:46 PM
I had a leaking sump gasket on my e16 gsi..then the jobs began!
firstly..upon looking under the car I noticed a fuel leak..rotten fuel lines from the tank. Made new ones and replaced.
Back to sump job...leak traced to one sump fixing being missing, and one snapped off in the block. Need to disconnect front pipe from manifold for access...2 bolts snap off in the manifold casting! Aaarrghhhh!
long story short, lots or drilling and tapping later, it's finally back together (9 hrs work later) this afternoon! Hooray!
Planning to take it to its first meet on Sunday in the Midlands.
Oh what fun it can be keeping these classics on the roads!

raf24
15-03-13, 10:48 PM
Old cars are a pain in the ass most of the time mate lol

therealnovaboy
16-03-13, 10:46 AM
Yeah, and the best bit is that your sump will probably still leak.

paul james
16-03-13, 11:01 AM
Its easier to just remove the whole exhaust manifold from the engine than trying to seperate it.

craig green
16-03-13, 02:40 PM
Its easier to just remove the whole exhaust manifold from the engine than trying to seperate it.

Not if all 10 mani studs are crumbling with corrosion, always a b1tch of a job unless you only bolted the manifold on the day before.

jimbob-mcgrew
16-03-13, 03:21 PM
those downpipe bolts are buggers, they always bloody snap

paul james
16-03-13, 03:31 PM
Not if all 10 mani studs are crumbling with corrosion, always a b1tch of a job unless you only bolted the manifold on the day before.

The studs tend to hold up a whole lot better than the downpipe bolts which just rust and completely sieze in place. The studs might rust too, but since they are in a head that doesn't rust with them, they are still generally easily removeable.

Novasport
16-03-13, 04:36 PM
Yeah, and the best bit is that your sump will probably still leak.

Yeah, mine still leaked after fitting a new gasket even though I used some expensive gasket sealer along with it.
I think I took my manifold and downpipe off complete iirc.

b943weg
16-03-13, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I avoided taking the manifold off the head cos I knew there would be more broken bolts to deal with. 4 bolts to drill and retap was plenty enough!