PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 8v to 1.4 16v engine conversion

Shrehorn1
15-03-13, 12:44 AM
My cars at my dads garage at the moment and just before Christmas my timing went he's going to do a compression test on it tomorrow and check there are no other issues.

However I am thinking I may as well upgrade the engine a little for the time being, I'm thinking 1.4 16v from a corsa sport I own a 1.2 8v carb nova just wondering what I would need and how to go about it

Thanks in advance

Ash

jimbob-mcgrew
15-03-13, 01:11 AM
i might be wrong, but i think the 1.2 8v is valve safe, and in theory should be alright if the belt goes.
with a bit of luck and all youll need to do is fit a new water pump and belt, then recharge the coolant system and bleed it.

if its fect tho, and you wanna do this conversion, youll need :

- an injection petrol tank with a swirl pot in
- external fuel pump (bit of wiring up)
- wire in the corsa engine loom and ecu (make sure you get it with engine)
- a throttle cable to suit (the corsa one might fit ?)
- youll need to modify some radiator hoses to suit the 16v
- new fuel lines

i think that the engine mounts and driveshafts from the 1.2 are switchable (im not 100% tho, check with others)

ive probably left out a few things.
its quite a big job if youve not done it before, but do-able for a novice with some extra time and patience and a haynes manual :)

if your lucky with the 1.2, id get that up and running first, keep using it as your daily while you gather all the parts you need, and then smash it all out in one hit over a weekend or 2 :)

jimbob-mcgrew
15-03-13, 01:14 AM
i forgot about the exhaust, youll have to use your imagination on that one, with welding and flexi-joints and what not. i doubt the corsa pipes will link to the existing system

Shrehorn1
15-03-13, 01:15 AM
Ok so gonna have to try and source these parts then thanks for that mate

Shrehorn1
15-03-13, 01:15 AM
i forgot about the exhaust, youll have to use your imagination on that one, with welding and flexi-joints and what not. i doubt the corsa pipes will link to the existing system

Ill get one from power flow :)

jimbob-mcgrew
15-03-13, 01:17 AM
check with the others before you spend any cash tho, ive only helped fit a 20xe, im not dead certain with the smallblocks, but as far as i know, there alot easier, as you dont need conversion bits, and strengthening kits etc

jimbob-mcgrew
15-03-13, 01:18 AM
theres probably a guide in the articles section, have a butchers

Shrehorn1
15-03-13, 01:20 AM
Looked for a conversion kit as I came along a 1.8 Sri engine fitted my 2.0 into my Corsa but that didn't need tank etc etc, I've had a quick glaze can't seem to find one though

jimbob-mcgrew
15-03-13, 01:55 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?129462-*HOW-TO*-fit-a-Smallblock-XE.-(1.4-1.6-16v)

its at the top of the list lol - you musta gone straight past it :)

as i suspected, the mounts and shafts are fine.
spi or mpi fuel tank (you can use your carb one, but your gonna run into starvation issues under heavy cornering)
if yours is a 4 speed model, youll need to chop the lug off from underneath the gaitor (explains in guide) plastic stop block basically, hacksaw it off

jimbob-mcgrew
15-03-13, 09:58 AM
might fit one of these myself in future... when its finally time to bite the bullet and embrace technology. ill stick with the carb for now tho :)
hopefully if i hang on abit more, i can bypass the mpi generation and fit an alien hybrid electromagnetic flux capacitor engine.