PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the MOT test, new reasons for rejection.

Asa-James
13-03-13, 11:37 PM
Thought if draw attention to this, I don't think much of it will affect Nova's, but things like HID lights without self levelling and washers will be failed, as well as airbag and SRS lights. It's coming in to effect from the 20th of this month, I only found out today.

Mark
13-03-13, 11:43 PM
Ibtl

millworm
13-03-13, 11:43 PM
I heard that they might be doing away with the bounce test? Someone from vosa was round the other day and said it was probably going to happen.

L14MNP
13-03-13, 11:51 PM
zo noz! my fixed bucket seat are fail n0w!!

(someone is bound to ask. lol)

bazil
14-03-13, 12:05 AM
Looks like I'm taking the airbag light bulb out of the combo then lol

Asa-James
14-03-13, 11:21 AM
Seats I don't think are in, bounce test is out for definite, and this isn't heresay, VOSA special notice yesterday. But like I said, unlikely to affect too many Nova's

meritlover
14-03-13, 01:18 PM
Looks like I'm taking the airbag light bulb out of the combo then lol

i dont think that would help. The light must come on then extinguish. If it doesnt come on when it should, its a fail.

turbojolt
14-03-13, 01:47 PM
wonder just how many fiats are going to fail there mot's now lol

mowgli
14-03-13, 05:34 PM
next you'll be telling me they are stopping doing them in pubs for cash...

pie
14-03-13, 05:55 PM
^^^lol lol

Jack
14-03-13, 06:01 PM
I thought those had been in the MOT for a long time tbh. The HID thing wasn't a requirement for washers/levellers, but if present they have to work - or has that now changed?

waggygsi
14-03-13, 07:41 PM
up my way a think they fail us for hid but no sure.I know the bacon brigade like to fine you for them

raf24
14-03-13, 08:04 PM
up my way a think they fail us for hid but no sure.I know the bacon brigade like to fine you for them

yes mate as you say the traffic cops around here seem to have a hard on for fining for hid's lol

Rage
14-03-13, 11:28 PM
with hid's so long as the beam pattern is correct and at the correct level they have to prove that it's not then there is nothing to fine for

raf24
15-03-13, 07:33 AM
Its not just hid's either,looks like a lot of retro fit led sidelight/number plate bulbs etc will fail now too.

Lighting
Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Benn
15-03-13, 07:43 AM
Almost most leds side lights are brighter than the normal 501 bulb... So that's ok^

raf24
15-03-13, 08:01 AM
Almost most leds side lights are brighter than the normal 501 bulb... So that's ok^

Would depend on the mot tester i suppose,problem is a standard 501 is E marked & most led are not therefore illegal.

MK999
15-03-13, 11:12 AM
I read that as tint spray/film/stockings being illegal, although a well tinted light that isn't just black, might pass for standard on some cars.

scott.parker
15-03-13, 11:28 AM
Meh, a good garage with a good mot tester will pass a good car with any mods that are not blatantly illegal or dangerous, same old rubbish each year..

Jack
15-03-13, 10:18 PM
Lighting
Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.
Thats how I understand the MOT to be at the moment. First part effectively says no tints, second part says if you have washers/levellers present, they must work.

craig green
16-03-13, 03:19 PM
If the HID thing is a deterrant for the monkeys driving around with their Blue headlamps on full-dazzle all day long, it can only be a good thing.

Asa-James
16-03-13, 11:39 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/stuff/null_zps9cf03a72.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/stuff/null_zpsb0a61b4e.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/stuff/null_zps0bb1f442.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/stuff/null_zpsd89bfbb4.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k155/asa_037/stuff/null_zps49fa212e.jpg

meritlover
17-03-13, 11:09 AM
Thanks for posting. Interesting reading.

Annex B 'introduction' looks like a good get out of jail free card.

Jack
17-03-13, 02:24 PM
Yeah, thats pretty much what I thought was currently 'live' at the mo, as of 01/01/13.

The HID thing still states "when fitted" though so still reads as not a fail to not have them.