PDA

View Full Version : Turbo owners....

Ben (lurk75)
22-08-03, 01:13 PM
Right guys i have been flirting with the idea for a few years now and have had a couple of engines but then decided against it and sold them again. but i have recently been offefered another one, so...

I know they are a bitch to fit correctly etc and that its a struggle but a few of the main questions i need to know are...

:arrow: How hard is it to get the power down :?:

:arrow: Are they heavier to steer that a normal 2.0l 16v :?:

:arrow: How much more wear do you get than a normal valver :?:

cheers Ben

Lee H
22-08-03, 01:18 PM
My steering feels no different to when i had the valver, the LET isn't much heavier tbh.

Mine puts the power down fine in the dry, the wet is a different matter though but I don't believe people who reckon a standard LET Nova will wheelspin all the way through 3rd in the dry :roll:

What do you mean about the wear?

tonydry
22-08-03, 01:25 PM
i can agree with lee as ive been in his and it gets the power down no probs i think by wear he means stress to the engine ect
i was gona do a 2.0l 16v coz id hear so many bad things about the let till i went in his and i changed my mind instantly :D

Breeny
22-08-03, 01:30 PM
Yup wheelspin is not as bad as everyone makes out. In the wet it is lethal though.

If you drive like a **** you can get it to spin in 5th in the wet as the boost comes on.

Don't think there that much heavier tbh... It depends which gearbox you go for, F28 are much heavier than an F20.

If you mean tyre wear etc its not that bad if you drive sensible...

But if you want my opinion... I wouldn't do the turbo, I'd stick to an XE on carbs if I were to go back in time!

Just so much hassle, a lot more to go wrong and more expensive to fix when they do go wrong. I'm fed up of spending ???? on a sodding nova! even if it is fairly quick!

Rick Draper
22-08-03, 01:34 PM
A F28 gearbox weighs the weight of a speedline allesio 2 wheel more than a F20. For that factoid you have ste to thank! Rick

dan16v
22-08-03, 05:06 PM
ben get i nice xe and a sbd tp 208kit if i were you!
turbos are a nightmare BUT i xpect ill love myne once its going :D
and yup the f28 is alot heavyer i struggle to lift myne on my own

Ben (lurk75)
22-08-03, 06:29 PM
A 2.0l 16v is not an option however it is built- end of story.

I am driving round in one at the moment and am not really enjoying it, i definately wouldnt put one in my car.

My White GSi will definately have the 1600 16v C16 XE put in and it will stay in there when done.

But it would be simple enough for me to get a GSi bare and park it away and work on in my spare time, this would be a full road going car complete with all seats etc.