PDA

View Full Version : 1400 tuning help/idea

scorch312
12-03-13, 10:50 PM
basically i have a nova and want to do another rebuild for it, ive had a 1.0 and a 1.3 in it now i want a 1.4. ive been reading posts and searching , i really need another engine rebuild !! i want to fully rebuild a 1400 carb engine. this is what ive got so far

14nv bottom end rebored +60thou (something like that)
new bearings all round , probably new oil pump to whilst its in my face!
deck the block

use the 1200 head which ive got
bigger valves
3 angled valve seats
new springs
solid lifters
port and polish head
r1 bike carbs maybe if not use the 1.3 inlet with weber 32/34 or twin 40's
4-1 exhaust manifold and a back box

F13 gearbox

it will then be getting set up on a rolling road afterwards, im not to sure what cam to use just yet need to have a think , just wondering peoples opinions on this set up or anything ive forgotten really :P

scorch312
12-03-13, 10:53 PM
also a head skim and advancing the timing slightly

_Jake
12-03-13, 10:58 PM
if your going to the trouble of lifters you may aswell get a cam and vernier.

scorch312
12-03-13, 11:09 PM
am getting a cam just not sure on what sort of lift and duration for the cam

therealnovaboy
12-03-13, 11:55 PM
if your going to all that trouble id go for ignition management.

I wouldnnt go nuts skiming the head untill you find out what valve lift your going for with the solid lifters and big valves. you might run into issues with the valves hitting the pistons.

Also make sure you get an F13 CR box.

philip
13-03-13, 12:08 AM
What springs do you have? Just I can almost gareuntee if want to use a big lift cam they will need an offset retainer or spring base plate machining.

Camwise could do a newman tarmac/sprint cam, 300dur 11.8mm lift, ran in a 1.4 grasser, iirc made 113@wheels. Pm for price if interested. Can also supply proper spring sets too to match cams. All new.

Royston
13-03-13, 06:48 AM
Sounds fine, and wise to talk to people, but what do you intend to use is for as it should be considered and defined first?

Solid lifters suggests a hi spec cam, if you develop it too much it for example would be a pig/undriveable on the road.

I am all for uprating engines/ getting the best out of them!!

I'd also suggest getting it balanced

scorch312
13-03-13, 04:40 PM
would mainly be using it for road what counts as to far though ;)

meritlover
13-03-13, 05:21 PM
too far would be the inability to pull away at a set of lights, or having to sit at 6k rpm at 70 mph. or having to spend 15k on a gearbox just to keep it in the power.
as said, its one thing building a crazy engine, but to go for peak power and sacrafice torque for one purpose might not suit another. Just because you have 120hp doesnt mean you wont get ripped by a derv burner on a twisty B road.

where you want the power will be crucial in selecting a cam anyway.

Stuart
13-03-13, 05:56 PM
imho solids (and the cam to justify them) is a waste of time, even for fairly hard track use.

Kent ASt2 or a Piper BP300 will suit your needs more than adequately and still keep hydraulic lifters.