PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing alloys....

staggy_gsi
12-03-13, 07:12 PM
Ok so im having a go at refurbing my wheels myself and im nearly ready to paint the first one (doing them one at a time in my breaks at work).

Its down to bare metal in a lot of places, so what i want to know is what sort of primer do i want to be using? Some sort of etch?

Im a complete novice when it comes to painting etc so please help!!

:thumb:

Southie
12-03-13, 08:56 PM
This might be worth a read to get you started CLICKYME (http://passionford.com/forum/concours-delegance/301574-diy-alloy-wheel-refurb.html)

staggy_gsi
12-03-13, 09:09 PM
Thats a good link mate cheers for that.

Will i be ok with just a normal primer?? Was just wondering with it being down to the metal whether i had to use that etch primer stuff or whatever lol

jimbob-mcgrew
13-03-13, 05:33 AM
degrease and rinse off well. then dry thoroughly before you primer. try keep them as clean as poss, and wear rubber gloves when handling them after the rinse off phase, as oils in your skin can react with the paint, and youll notice scabbing after several months.

i think youll be fine with any primer, as long as the surface is clean and dry.
white primer for light colours, and grey primer for dark colours, is usually the norm.

do some trial spraying on a sheet of steel or plastic, as theres a slight nack to using spray cans. try spraying at different distances, youll notice too far away gives a splattery matt finish. on the flipside too close and youll get blobs and runs. dont hold the nozzle down either. spray in back and forth strokes. have a little play, im sure everyones got their own technique to it

8valve-craig
13-03-13, 08:57 AM
Heres one of my old guides. Should help you out a little.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/styling-wheels-interior/502236-diy-alloy-wheel-re-furb-how-i-do.html

staggy_gsi
13-03-13, 10:11 PM
You are a patient man!!

Thats a great help mate cheers for that. Think i know what im doing now so il give it a bash!