PDA

View Full Version : help everybody!!!!!!!!!!

reevie1987
10-03-13, 04:20 PM
ok i have taken both of my novas off the road and going to start doing trackdays, i have got access to a car trailer twin axel it weighs 600kg, my nova wieghs 865kg according to the book, im looking at buying a motor to tow the trailer with the nova on would something like a astra mk3 van do it? whats the manufactures maximum towing capacity of the astra mk3 van? hope somebody can help me many thanks :thumb:

kent14sr
10-03-13, 04:36 PM
It is based on the maximum plated mass of the trailer - not the actual weight of it.

So Max plated mass of trailer + kerbweight of towcar = must be under 3500kg

Plus - the trailer and contents must weigh less than the unladen weight of the towcar.

DSA state you can tow (without a towing licence);

-a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)
-a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)

In all honesty, if you passed your test after 2000 and dont have trailer entitlement on your licence you will struggle to legally tow a car on a trailer.

reevie1987
10-03-13, 04:52 PM
yeh my brother passed his test in 1987 so he will be towing it so a mk3 astra van wouldnt be ok to use on a twin axel trailer with a nova on it?