PDA

View Full Version : The law on numberplates...

Calamity Josh
08-03-13, 05:13 PM
Got followed into the carpark at college today by an unmarked police car with two police men in it, to get to the point basically they pulled me as my car came up as sorn, even tho it's taxed, mot'd and insured. I've found out now afterwards that theres a four week changeover after you tax it so it's likely there system hasn't updated.

they also mentioned my plates in the process, went something like this:
-you do realize that the plates on this car are illegal?
-no i didn't, why's that?
-there classed as show plates, why are you running german plates anyway?
-they were on there when i brought it
-ohh okay, well we'll let you off, although if we were traffic officers you'd likely get points.

i'm struggling to understand the law on this didn't want to ask too much at the time, the lettering and coloring's okay, there also the reflective type, so as far as i've managed to find out is that they just arn't a great fan of the 'd' as they search the german database first

anyone have any info on whether there legal or not? also if i had the ones without the d would that be okay...?

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j404/CalamityJosh/558048_4991721223590_510518248_n_zps62acadfb.jpg

MK999
08-03-13, 05:16 PM
They're legal in Germany, or for German registered cars, hence the "D"

You want the ones with "GB" on them lol

Southie
08-03-13, 05:19 PM
There not the right font, also probably not reflective and they need the official code numbers on from where legit numberplate makers.

http://www.numberplatekits.com/images/plate.jpg

Calamity Josh
08-03-13, 05:20 PM
They're legal in Germany, or for German registered cars, hence the "D"

You want the ones with "GB" on them lol

thats the thing, i'm trying to find out, if i get the ones with gb, or with simply no marking at the beginning will it be legal?

Iain
08-03-13, 05:20 PM
Yep font is probably the biggest problem

Search for 'legal pressed plates' and see what options are available to keep them legit

MK999
08-03-13, 05:22 PM
Plates have to of the correct, British, font made to BS au 145d off the top of my head? Whatever the British Standard is anyway, that covers reflectiveness and various other specs and they need to be stamped with the plate makers name and post code.

If you want pressed plates get the ones from TSR/Dubmeister, they went through a lot of hassle making sure they could stamp them properly etc.

bazzap8389
08-03-13, 05:23 PM
I hardly think you would get points for it? I was pulled over on a few occasions for my plates, the lettering was too small and has reflective vauxhall badges through the plate and I got a £60 fine

Calamity Josh
08-03-13, 05:29 PM
There not the right font, also probably not reflective and they need the official code numbers on from where legit numberplate makers.

http://www.numberplatekits.com/images/plate.jpg

they defiantly are reflective :) and the company we got them off said they were legal

pie
08-03-13, 05:31 PM
bsa numbers aint needed till after 94 iirc?

ive had tthis trouble with cops before lol

Southie
08-03-13, 05:33 PM
they defiantly are reflective :) and the company we got them off said they were legal

They would say that to make money lol

pie
08-03-13, 05:40 PM
lol

Dan Stanley
08-03-13, 05:43 PM
Get some classic style pressed plates, Ive got them on my saloon. They are legal in everything apart from the postcode of where they were made.
IMO, they look good on the older novas where as a German style plate on a 'English' Vauxhall doesn't.

TeddyThom
08-03-13, 05:44 PM
Besides, you should have the spanish one on there not the german lol

Jack
08-03-13, 05:47 PM
~2001/2 when the plate requirements changed iirc

'Font not as prescribed' would wang those plates anyway. I don't think its an endorsable offence, a chap on CCUK got fined almost every other day for his plates lol

[edit] I think Lynz got knobbled for euro style pressed plates at a petrol station just outside of Santa Pod one year. The daft thing was the fuzz were too busy flirting with her giving her a ticket to be bothered about the 106 that pulled up pretty much right next to them with its plates on upside down. lol

faker
08-03-13, 05:48 PM
No points for illegal plates in N.I. Just £30 fine, im assuming the legislation is the same on the mainland. The legislation has changed, only allowed to have GB on UK registered vehicles. Standard Letter font of 79mm tall. You can legally have 3d lettering. Slanted, boxey, scroll type writing is out. Have to display E mark, BS mark, plate manufacturer etc. Pressed plates are fine as long as they have the same markings. Main dealer logos or names are out as are descriptions on bottom of plates - such as NOVA GSI in tiny lettering. American and Japanese imports with smaller rear plate location and openings are legally allowed to have a smaller plate (cut down) and are allowed to use 64mm tall digits as used on motorcycles (meaning a square rear plate can be cut into a rectangle and use smaller lettering) as in the following format.
.ABC.

L14MNP
08-03-13, 05:54 PM
Any plate made after 2001 needs to be in font 'New Charles Wright'.
If your plates were made before then, they need to be in 'Charles Wright'.

(In the case of your Nova anyway)

You also cannot display anything but GB/EU on the side. Are allowed nothing bar BS conformities and makers address along the bottom, no ghosting of badges/pictures etc behind the plate characters.

Unlike me and my Serck plates. I'm special though. lol

pie
08-03-13, 05:55 PM
Mr plod use to love my plates lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/249029_3442235541733_478521535_n.jpg

Stuart
08-03-13, 05:57 PM
If you persist with illegal plates the police can instruct the dvla to take the reg plate off the car and you have to pay to re register as a q lol
You are actually better off with no plate at all compared to deliberately crap ones.

L14MNP
08-03-13, 06:02 PM
If you persist with illegal plates the police can instruct the dvla to take the reg plate off the car and you have to pay to re register as a q lol
You are actually better off with no plate at all compared to deliberately crap ones.

Both of these points are true. See my username. lol

I liked it at the time, and felt I had little choice due to having no middle name.

I now have this plate on retention, but was hammered for illegal spacing numerous times and threatened with them informing the DVLA.

This was 7-10 years ago, before ANPR was rife, too. Every time I see a badly spaced plate now, I think you won't get away with that for long.

novalovingned
08-03-13, 06:03 PM
Exactly! Oppss it must have fallen off lol

L14MNP
08-03-13, 06:09 PM
I tried the no front plate recess due to smoothed front bumper (imported like that, honest lol) or 'just fallen off' trick tol. Again, 7+ years ago.

They aren't stupid. lol

Stuart
08-03-13, 06:16 PM
I didn't have a front number plate on the VX for 5 years running past police and cameras everyday lol

L14MNP
08-03-13, 06:21 PM
I didn't have a front number plate on the VX for 5 years running past police and cameras everyday lol

I'm guessing it had just fallen off. lol

novalovingned
08-03-13, 06:27 PM

You'll be amazed how often it happens apparently lol but yet we don't see them scattered all over the roads like hub caps lol

faker
08-03-13, 06:48 PM
You'll be amazed how often it happens apparently lol but yet we don't see them scattered all over the roads like hub caps lol
Ha ha ha!

Stuart
09-03-13, 10:02 AM

On the dash with the remains of sticky pads on the back :)
It did actually fall off for fun so gave up after buying the 4th plate in a month.

Adam
09-03-13, 02:38 PM
My old pressed plates were deemed illegal and failed mot about 4years back.

Personally i think most of these "fancy" font plates look s**t anyway lol

Keif
09-03-13, 05:10 PM
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

Benn
09-03-13, 05:43 PM
I hardly think you would get points for it? I was pulled over on a few occasions for my plates, the lettering was too small and has reflective vauxhall badges through the plate and I got a £60 fine

Same here, i got a £60 fine because the letters where 5mm to small, which the copper noticed from 200yards...:roll:
But didnt say anything about not running a front plate...

'funky' font and badges just look sh/te anyway so dont bother...

L14MNP
09-03-13, 06:51 PM
Serck style ftw (on the right car).

Otherwise, New Charles Wright all the way.

Benn
09-03-13, 07:25 PM
Wha?^^^

dan23
09-03-13, 07:39 PM
i got a new plate made for my bike through e bay
the new plate is approx 10mm shorter in height compared to the old cracked plate
an doesnt have the makers details on the bottom (almost as if the last 10mm of the plate with the makers details has been cut off

am likely to get a fine

Benn
09-03-13, 07:42 PM
Its all down to letter size and distance between them. The plate size it's self doesn't matter. Maker on it you might get away with..

faker
09-03-13, 07:50 PM
the new plate is approx 10mm shorter in height compared to the old cracked plate
an doesnt have the makers details on the bottom (almost as if the last 10mm of the plate with the makers details has been cut off

am likely to get a fine
Motorcycle plates are allowed to be shorter, and use 64mm digits instead of 79mm as with cars etc.

_Jake
09-03-13, 07:58 PM
josh them nazi plates are illegal, you want the ones i have on my mk1 if you want pressed ones

Stuart
09-03-13, 08:04 PM

am likely to get a fine

Well its a grey area as plates made post 2001 should have the details, but if the car is pre 2001 then they are simply the plates the car had waaaay back ;)