PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.7 TD with 2.8 Frontera TD Intercooler HELP

elgan
07-03-13, 11:02 PM
Ive bought a nova with a cav isuzu engine already fitted.

it has a small intercooler, but ive already got a 2.8 td frontera alloy cooler which would look far better behind the gsi bumper

problem i see, is that the width of the rad fills the gap where i would normally bring the boost pipes forward to meet the cooler.

I dont want to spend a fortune on this one, but would like any alternative suggestions on plumbing up the cooler if possible. Pictures to follow on the weekend if i got time to pop the front bumper off

Count Vaux Alot
07-03-13, 11:32 PM
If it were me I would be tempted to go gsi rad and fit the cooler upfront. Then I would try to counter the loss of cooling capacity by a couple of slim reasonably sized fans. Also an air to oil oil cooler up front to replace the oil to water one fitted as standard.

Or put the cooler on top of the engine but you will need to fit a bonnet vent.

cossienova
08-03-13, 01:37 AM
Iv just fitted a frontera intercooler to my nova td. I used a Gsi rad and there's just enough room to get boost pipes through either side of the rad. I modified the original fan to fit the Gsi rad and so far no cooling issues. I also had to cut the front panel and recess it to fit the intercooler or it sits to far forward and looks silly. Bumper also had to be cut slightly.
Here's a picture nit very good but I can take better this is just odd one I had on my phone.
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/cossiecapri/4D102C6C-4DE1-43CF-B179-31DD3B2DF869-747-000000A29398DF94.jpg

elgan
08-03-13, 04:34 PM
Nice job. Looks like smaller rad it will have to be then. Did consider taking the boost pipes through the front panel but they line up square with the tie bar mounts. U got a pic with the gsi bumper fitted?

cossienova
08-03-13, 04:49 PM
I considered a few options but found this to be the easiest there is the option of through front panel but as u said it's right in line with the tiebar mounts. Everything's against u! I'l get some pics tomorrow of the front end with the bumper on.
Forgot to mention u have to make up radiator pipes too but that was easy enough, I just used some old ones I had and cut them, sleeved them and they have been fine.

staggy_gsi
08-03-13, 07:37 PM
My brother managed to fit one behind his bumper/grill. He moved the rad back a little bit and trimmed the crash bar, a bit off the bumper and had to trim the grill too. He didnt have to change any coolant pipes or anything, and managed to pipe it all up using a cheap tx autosport kit. When it was all together you couldnt really tell unless you knew it was there

cossienova
08-03-13, 07:53 PM
That's possible if u mount it up higher but theres a fair bit of chopping to be done as there ain't much room. I wanted mine mounted down low with a good air feed that's why I had to change rad and then the coolant pipes.

elgan
08-03-13, 11:58 PM
Ill get some pics of how I bought it. If you seem the size of the TD rad you will see how it becomes a problem to take the boost pipes through.

cossienova
09-03-13, 10:11 AM
Yeah put some pics up. The td rad is huge, much bigger than any other nova which I can't understand as diesels tend to run cooler anyway. Mine runs cool with the Gsi rad fitted.

Count Vaux Alot
09-03-13, 01:34 PM
Diesels usually run cool until they climb loaded on boost, as my 1.7 Td Corsa used too.