PDA

View Full Version : Stater motor differences 1300 and 1400 block

steg1970
07-03-13, 10:17 PM
I've done a bit of research and just want some confirmation.

I have two engines a 1300 in the car and a spare 1400. The starter was playing up on the 1300 so I robbed the one from the 1400m it fits and spins the engine beautifully. Sadly the solenoid interferes with the gear selection of 1st and 3rd gears. I read on here that the starters are different, have I encountered a known difference?

An answer would be appreciated as I will order a replacement starter for the 1300 tomorrow.

Ta

pottersrebel
07-03-13, 10:50 PM
i have a corsa 1600 sport starter motor attached to my 1300 and i have no problems with gear selection dunno if that helps?

Will F
07-03-13, 10:59 PM
They are all the same. The only difference is the make. Sounds like the solenoid is a different design and fouling on the linkage, you should be able to make it fit?

steg1970
07-03-13, 11:24 PM
They are all the same. The only difference is the make. Sounds like the solenoid is a different design and fouling on the linkage, you should be able to make it fit?

I don't see how, neither the linkage or starter are adjustable? If you know how it could be made to fit I would be interested in your advice.

Will F
08-03-13, 09:11 PM
Ok put it this way, I have swapped loads of both small block and big block starters around and they're all the same size and Fitment. (I mean small with small and big with big)

However, you can obviously can get aftermarket items that don't fit as well. The only real difference can be with the solenoid and its cap...

I meant that it can be fouling that bad, unless you have a really odd starter lol. If it just catching, you should be able to tweak the linkage position to suit....

steg1970
08-03-13, 10:50 PM
The starter is a Bosch, if you look at the non drive end the solenoid is a 9 o'clock, on the Delco Remy the solenoid is at 10 o'clock. With the Bosch the gear selector punches straight into it limiting the throw into 3rd and 1 st oddly though I could get 5th just.

Will F
08-03-13, 10:54 PM
You should be able to swap the front brackets around mate. I spent a year building starters and alternators and its really easy!