PDA

View Full Version : Sealing bare metal prior to painting

TWAG
06-03-13, 11:31 PM
I've got to seal the bare metal,where I've been welding etc on the nova,

The car is being resparayed but wanted to seal the metal to stop it rusting in the mean time. I also want to apply seam sealer before it goes to paint.

Now I don't have a paint gun, so it will have to be aerosol.

What is best to use? I've looked at upol Acid 8 etch primer, although this is very expensive compare to over manufacturers.

burgo
06-03-13, 11:58 PM
Doesnt hav to be acid 8 but you do want etch primer although to stop it rusting you'll have to put a basecoat on for now as well

TWAG
07-03-13, 06:06 AM
Do I need to primer over the etch primer before applying the base coat?

Another options was to paint it with red oxide?

JaysNova
07-03-13, 06:26 AM
You can primer over etch but make sure you some base and lacquer on top even if its rattle cans.
As primer will absorb the moisture in the air if its left outside and will just rust.

TWAG
07-03-13, 06:52 AM
Ok cheers.

As for the underneath of the car, I need to give it a good coat of paint before undersealing it. I was going to use this stuff, international inter plus 256, it's a two part surface tolerable epoxy paint. It's used in marine environment so should be up to the job. What's people's thoughts?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/twag/53a4a83313f350ec0bb7799d7f450252_zps853be4e2.jpg

Nova_Tek
07-03-13, 08:29 AM
You can use etch primer, zinc primer, red oxide if it's gonna be stored somewhere dry that will be fine but outside it will still start to corrode as mentioned eariler.

paul james
07-03-13, 08:54 AM
Acid etch primer/zinc primer (don't bother with red oxide), as long as its kept in dry conditions, a non-leaky garage then you shouldn't have a problem. Even bare metal shouldn't rust up that quickly in a dry garage, at least it didn't in mine when my Nova got abondoned mid way through being worked on for a few months, so etch primer should do the job in the right environment especially if its not going to be sitting waiting for more than a few days/weeks.

L14MNP
07-03-13, 11:35 AM
Rally Design sell Etchweld for about a fiver a can iirc.

toymex
07-03-13, 05:31 PM
I used a 2k epoxy primer on the underside of my car,it gets very good reviews so i should imagine that would be fine ,i sprayed mine though

Ok cheers.

As for the underneath of the car, I need to give it a good coat of paint before undersealing it. I was going to use this stuff, international inter plus 256, it's a two part surface tolerable epoxy paint. It's used in marine environment so should be up to the job. What's people's thoughts?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/twag/53a4a83313f350ec0bb7799d7f450252_zps853be4e2.jpg