PDA

View Full Version : Air trumpets

Gazza14SR
21-08-03, 11:33 PM
Been advised to get air trumpets on my twin 40s,

at the minute i have 2 K&N air filters on, would the trumpets make much difference? what do they actually do?

cheers

MC
22-08-03, 08:25 AM
The trumpets increase airflow into the engine. Air can travel faster around a smooth radius than a 90deg angle. Worth 5bhp, and of corse the longer the trumpet, the more torque you will get.

MC

I swear we've had this post b4?

tay
02-09-03, 06:24 PM
I was wondering this as well ? I've got two K&N's on my carbs but before that I just had trumpets and they sounded the bollocks. With the K&Ns on now it seems to have deadend the sound and I swear they've restricted the airflow !

Mark
02-09-03, 06:30 PM
Got trumpets on the rally car, sounds absolutely mental!!

Got to get rid of them and get K&N's though because of the amount of crap from the rally track!!

Gazza14SR
02-09-03, 07:02 PM
Tay, i know what you mean! Car ran ok with the air filters (got to k&ns) put some trupets on, sounded mint and seemed quicker off the mark, but now i have both on the top plate which has k&n printed on it sits right over the trumpet so the air flow cant get to the carbs as good.

Ive put another post up asking what filters people recommend with the air trumpets cuz the k&n ones are pants!

tay
02-09-03, 09:59 PM
the problem with em is that they sit right against the back of the engine bay so airflow aint that good i dont think. What would be good is a mixture of carb filter with an induction kit attached thats goes round to the front of the engine bay if you know what i mean ?

Gazza14SR
02-09-03, 10:15 PM
i know exactly what you mean, got a flushed in bonnet vent so hopefully that'd help abit.

Dan
02-09-03, 11:53 PM
the ideal trumpets for a nova are 16mm ones, i run with these and seem ok, somewhere along the line i have been told you need a minimum of 14mm from end of trumpet to face of filter.