PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 diesel starting problem

Rage
05-03-13, 08:54 PM
last night my nova van took a few cranks before starting then started and ran fine came to start her this morning for work and all she wants to do is crank there is no signs of her trying to start.

to date i have renewed the glow plugs, timing belt (with tensioner and idler), air filter and alternator belt.

when i did the timing belt i locked the diesel pump and the cam shaft then once fitted i did a few rotations by hand checking everything was still lined up before starting her and she started on the button allowing me nearly a week of use before this mornings fun.

has anyone got any ideas on what could be the problem?
the only things i can think of is the fuel cut off solinoid is jambed in the off state, or the timing belt may have slipped a tooth.
i'm leaning towards the fuel cut off seen as she was running fine last night, but i wouldn't know what im looking for in the engine bay.

I'm a bit of a novice with diesels so can anyone help?

meritlover
05-03-13, 09:34 PM
if the cut off SOV was stuck it wouldnt run at all.

do the glowplugs actually power up? might be the relay.

Rage
05-03-13, 11:28 PM
the light comes on on the dash. where is the relay i will check it

mowgli
06-03-13, 05:56 AM
when did you last swap the fuel filter?

check the timing again, just to eliminate it as a potential problem

Nobby
06-03-13, 07:37 AM
Make sure you defo have feed to the glow plugs the light will stoll come on if you havent and check the mega fuse

Rage
06-03-13, 07:49 AM
where are the fuses and relays for the glow plugs? I'll double check the timing belt but that will be a job for friday as i have no garage and it's just getting dark when i get home from work.
Mowgli: would the fuel filter cause this much problem, it was next on my list to renew as i've now done everthing else

meritlover
06-03-13, 08:09 AM
put a meter on the glowplugs and check for voltage.

check the fuel pump timing as well as the cam and crank pulley markings.

Balley
06-03-13, 08:56 AM
I bet the 60amp fuse has gone located in the bay, check this!

burgo
06-03-13, 10:58 AM
Check the gearbox earth strap

Rage
06-03-13, 11:15 PM
right will check all of these if i get enough light tomorrow night if not then it'll be a job for friday. she will live by monday i'll make sure of that lol hopefully

Rage
08-03-13, 03:55 PM
right i have
Checked the timing found to be correct
Cracked the unions off #4 injector and cranked to find a dribble of fuel coming out
Checked the 60amp fuse both visually and using a multimeter its ok
checked the glow plugs are getting power they are getting full battery voltage
checked the shut off solenoid is getting power it is also getting full battery voltage
taken the solenoid out of the pump retrieved the plunger and spring
tried to get some reaction from the solenoid by earthing the body of it with a jump lead to the earth of the battery and turning the ignition on got no reaction
put the solenoid back in without the plunger and spring no reaction still just cranking
earthed the engine directly to the battery with a jump lead and still it just cranks

Ive run out of ideas and patience anyone else have any ideas