PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Astra GTE non ABS master cylinder to a Nova

RyanGorman
04-03-13, 10:14 PM
Hi al, I fitted astra GTE brakes to my 1.2 spin 1992 with new GM pads and disc. Bleed them up and had loads of pedal travel so lucky I have a nova GTE that I'm using for parts for mine so took the master and bigger servo off cleaned them up and fitted them to mine in the hope this would help. But no different, just less effort needed to brake. So was just wondering if I could fit a non ABS astra GTE master cylinder straight onto my Servo or do I need the servo off a astra. I am right in thinking that the nova MC is 20mm and the astra is 22mm? Or is there any other ways to improve the pedal travel?
Thanks Ryan

dan23
04-03-13, 10:22 PM
unsure about the astra parts
but it should of worked with the gte servo you must still have air in them

RyanGorman
04-03-13, 10:29 PM
Iv bled them about 5 time there no air in them I'm sure

pepper
05-03-13, 07:00 AM
Hi ive got a astra gte sevo and master cylinder on my nova, the brakes are 100 times better with no pedel travel, but you will have to cut off the nova arm on the sevo and weld it on the astra one. Not a bad job to do tho.
ian

AndrewJenkins
05-03-13, 07:32 AM
a couple of things did you start from the furtherest point away while bleeding ? and another thought have you tried slacking of the handbrake and adjusting your rear shoes as that affects the pedal feel aswell if the shoes are out of adjustment youll have a bad pedal feel so its worth checking

Balley
05-03-13, 08:22 AM
Is the clevis pin connected to the brake servo and the pedal, any play in the linkage?

Benn
05-03-13, 09:27 AM
If you only fit the MC, then its just a case of remaking your brake lines.

As Astra mc has the front lines up the top and rears at the bottom. Novas are the other way.
I would bother with the servo.

mowgli
05-03-13, 11:36 AM
then service the rear drums properly, adjust them up etc.

most nova brake problems can be traced to the rear brakes having too much travel

RyanGorman
05-03-13, 04:36 PM
Yeah iv already adjusted the rear drums. Iv defently bleed them properly, bleed brakes hundreds of times. So i could fit the astra MC straight on to the nova servo just cast of refitting new brakes lines to get them in the right place? i havent got braided lines, will this help alot if i get some? Thanks for all your help people.

Benn
08-03-13, 08:14 AM
Yes, as long as you get the one with the straight bolt holes like Novas have it will bolt on, the yes just remake your brake lines.

elgan
08-03-13, 03:17 PM
I had an astra servo and mc on my red nova before buying a pedal box. I was going to list it on eBay at the weekend as it happens. I modified the astra piston/bar to join to the nova brake pedal system

Benn
08-03-13, 09:28 PM
Make much differenve?^