PDA

View Full Version : play in c20let crankshaft

jonn
04-03-13, 11:37 AM
I am in the middle of rebuilding my c20let and I noticed that the the crank moves from the oil pump side to flywheel.

The crank was checked and polished and I bought new acl race bearings. The play is maybe 1mm just want to make sure its ok.

philip
04-03-13, 12:18 PM
Seems abit 1mm, should only be a few though as the centre main is the thrust bearing, what were the old bearings like, crank have any signs of serious wear on thrust side too?

jonn
04-03-13, 12:30 PM
They did not seem to bad. I did not tighten the caps fully as I did not want to stretch the bolts.

Think I will take the crank out again and check the journal sides where the trust bearing goes. Is it possible for the crank to ware? Also is there 2 different width bearings?

philip
04-03-13, 01:14 PM
Tbh with your main bolts they can/do get reused over + over so I'd go with the 50nm tighten then check just incase a cap wasn't square, I've rebuilt engines in past with a goosed thrust bearing and crank has been fine. The acl's iirc are wider than likes of mahle, king, glyco, but usually get machine shop to match bearings to crank or vice versa.

jonn
04-03-13, 01:52 PM
Ok I will tighten them fully and try and check with a feeler guage when I get home at the weekend. I don't think it is to bad but just want to make sure it is right. Will be running about 300bhp with 4 paddle clutch.