PDA

View Full Version : Removing rear washer jet

devonskippy
04-03-13, 08:30 AM
I'm finally sorting the lack of rear washer, it seems down to snapped hose. I have managed to remove then replace the hose along the vehicle, however am at a loss on how to remove the washer yet on the rear hatch so i can connect the new hose?!

It is an SR so trying to see what's what under the spoiler is not easy.

Any tips to remove the yet to connect the hose apreciated!

Cheers.

mowgli
04-03-13, 09:25 AM
small screwdriver??

meritlover
04-03-13, 10:44 AM
normally the hose snaps in the rubber grommet between the car and the boot at the point where it hinges. i normally snip off the burst bit, splice in an 8 inch length of new hose unsing some metal tube or a proper barbed joiner and tuck the slack down towards the roof and the boot.

washer jets are a pain to remove especially if you want them to sit nicely again when theyre re fitted.

devonskippy
04-03-13, 02:28 PM
Wish I could have just fixed the pipe as you describe but the roof end had dropeed inside and I couldn't get hold of it! Thought it would be better to replace the lot and avoid future problems.

Tried a small screwdriver but it's damaging the surrounding paintwork. Thought there may be a certain way in which is comes out easier?!

Cheers.

Spudly
04-03-13, 07:09 PM
You cant remove the jet with the spoiler in place unfortunately!

And to remove the spoiler you will have to undo the nut things on the inside, then lift it a little and slice the bonding strip/sealant in the gap between the tailgate and the spoiler, my rear wash pipe has snapped somewhere, but ill be damned if im taking my full mk1 spoiler off!

marc69
04-03-13, 08:45 PM
I removed the washer of an SR many years ago, I did manage it but, did scratch some paint work removing it, almost broke the jet, it has to be pulled and proded at every angle. Had to put some paint on (to stop rust although you can't see it) and again, almost broke the jet putting it back in, I rememebr finding it a really frustarating job.

However, is there not a grommet on the inside of the hatch, gives rear access to the jet if I rememeber correctly? It's from memory from a few years ago so I could be wrong!

meritlover
04-03-13, 08:58 PM
cant you just dig about and fish for the end of the hose?